Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: *Emeraldroad, A Fortress Log*  (Read 6837 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emeraldroad, A Fortress Log
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:47 am »

Okay, I have to apologize for switching back and forth between tilesets. I know it's a little jarring but there were a few things about Phoebus's set that were nagging at me so I went back to mine and tweaked it a little. Phoebus has an excellent tileset and it's generally superior to mine in every way from a technical standpoint. This is purely just a matter of taste. I'm still more than happy to use Phoebus's graphics for all the creatures. Anyway, on to the update.

This spring's elven caravan brought a female giant wolf with it. I don't think I mentioned purchasing a male one from the year before so this is just perfect. I set up a pasture zone in the mayor's quarters and assigned them to it. Don't worry, I won't be renaming anyone "Stark" for now.

No major conflicts since the giant to talk about. There were some oriole people flying around spooking my farmers but they otherwise left them alone.

I'm getting ready to open up a cavern layer. I want a few rows of traps setup before I even think of letting anyone venture out there. Not that they'll do much good against forgotten beasts but that's what macedwarves are for. Worst case, I have a bridge already setup to close in case anything super dangerous wanders in.

Not an artifact, but interesting nonetheless. Ass Melon embracing an alpaca is just so adorable I could soil myself. Dagon raising a stone door over his head like he just fished it out of a chest is pretty cool too.

My food stockpile was proving woefully inadequate so I did some expanding. That right-most food stockpile? That's all giant kea meat. That's how many of those bastards kept diving into my spear traps.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 06:26:50 am »

More wooden artifacts, both scepters, both made out of the same kind of wood, both made from children. Clearly some elf has been corrupting the minds of these kids. A girl and a boy. I'm just going to call them Palom and Porom.

In other news one of my engravers got beaten to death because I didn't build a bronze door in Snake Eater's room. Snake Eater's going to take a swim in lasagna sauce later if he doesn't quit it!

A cyclops. Best I can tell they're just giants with really bad depth perception. I'll just send The Barricaded Libraries out to deal with it. I'm sure it'll be fine.

That... went allot faster than I expected. I didn't even have time to get a good screenshot of the action. It made a bee line for the entrance so after The Barricaded Libraries gathered I didn't really have time to send them out so I just let them fight it out inside. The cyclops didn't stand a chance. It fell over after the initial encounter and they just wailed on it until someone finally stabbed it in it's face. It didn't get a single hit in.

I'm starting to think that anything that shows up without any kind of armor or hardened skin really isn't going to present a challenge for my small military.

Well, Emeraldroads is turning into quite the prosperous fortress. I shut down all alcohol production for now. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

I finally got around to making a temple. This one is devoted to Id, god of jewels. I scattered some gemstones around on pedestals and added a couple of statues of Id himself. It's also got some simple instruments as well as a human dancer who took up residence in my fortress. Everything a decent temple needs. Well, except a priest of course but those aren't a thing yet.

I opened up the cavern and all sorts of nasty critters have been wandering into my spear traps, including a jabberer and a blind cave ogre. Every once in a while something will get stunned and I'll send The Barricaded Libraries out to finish them off, just to get their skills up, which are improving nicely by the way. I think my most skilled macedwarf is sitting at accomplished, with everyone else not far behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
!!WARNING!!
The following contains spoiler related content. If the word "candy" means nothing to you in reference to Dwarf Fortress it is highly recommended you do not view the spoilered section.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 02:23:35 am »

I really don't understand this obsession with sand pear wood scepters. Toss it on the pile. His last name is Pagecrypt so I'll nickname him Abdul Alhazred after the fictional author of the Necronomicon. He's actually a visiting bard so there's not much I can do with him at the moment. I'll allow him to stay if he petitions for citizenship.

Some serpent people are having it out with some troglodytes down in the second cavern layer. It might be interesting to try capturing some of them.

Several bards and merchants have been petitioning for citizenship. I approved some of them. I'm not entirely sure if merchants are supposed to be able to do that but whatever.

Now that's a little more like it. I sent out The Barricaded Libraries to raid Terrorsneer again. They brought back a few spoils but nothing truly noteworthy.

My dwarves were all showing clear signs of cave adaptation so to combat that I made this little outside meeting area where they can get a little sun. I know, not very dwarfy, but it makes handling outside activities much easier when everyone's not constantly painting the dirt green.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 11:38:50 am »

You know, I have those really nice quarters set up for Snake Eater already. Sure, let's do this thing.

I created a new, small squad of marksdwarves, mostly to take care of the giant keas that keep spooking my farmers. Just four of them for now, and I'm only keeping two of them stationed at a time.

Well that's interesting. I'm not entirely sure what the implications are. At the very least it appears he needs quite a few accommodations to suit his status. Looking over his labors he appears to be a jeweler that I use occasionally to encrust various crafts. He's also apparently the husband of Blood Raven and the father of Palom. Truly this family aspires to great things. He likes steel and books about steel. His name shall be Conan! I just hope he doesn't take off with any large red gems.

Dark Sun claimed a mason's workshop and made this thing. Pretty convenient considering I have two barons in need of tombs. I like the name. Certaingrip the Speechless Doctrine just sounds like some kind of allegory for death.

I've been doing a bit of steel production using the imported iron ore I've been trading for. All my swordsdwarves now have high-quality steel swords and many of them are already masters.

Tree Hater has been churning out a bunch of leather clothing. That's why I trade for as much leather as possible. Dwarves are already starting to leave their tattered socks lying around. He's getting pretty good at it. I'm regularly seeing reports of masterpiece *leopard leather trousers*.

It took a little bit but I managed to get both my barons everything they need. I gave Conan a steel throne and a steel sarcophagus so that should make him happy. Snake Eater gets the artifact coffin so she's good.

I converted my old dining room into a library. I traded for a handful of books and noticed them sitting in the trade depot collecting dust. After I had the library set up, dwarves immediately went and grabbed the books and started reading. Let's take a look:

Yes, clearly some kind of propaganda pamphlet to let dwarves know the good news of the elf folk and why eating their rodents is bad.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 05:26:10 am »

Snake Eater joined the legendary club with this piece of junk. Well she can have it. I'll stick it in her dining room I guess.

Finally got my first forgotten beast. The webs could be an issue. I think I might station both squads near the cavern entrance for this one. If The Barricaded Libraries get too webbed to fight then The Sly Lanterns could potentially take it out from range. Let's see how this goes.

While setting up for the attack I got this lovely message. I honestly haven't taken down that many trees so I don't know what they're all pissy about. They're in for a rude awakening if they decide to assault me, assuming my military doesn't all get devoured by Hode.

Their trade caravan showed up a short while later and I basically unloaded all my trash clothing on them. It was probably about 7k worth of clothing, but at least I got a couple more giant wolves and a giant cougar out of the deal.

It turned out the Hode is hanging out in the lower caverns which I didn't have an entrance ready for so I had to mine one out real quick. Everyone's positioned and Tigress is about to take down the last wall. This could potentially break my fortress if this goes badly. I don't have any bridges set up or anything to seal off the cavern if all my soldiers die.

Interesting. Created by one of my swordsdwarves. She likes peach cider and her skin is peach so I named her Peach.

Hode isn't playing ball and charging directly into my fortress when I want him to so I sealed off the entrance for now and I'm building a proper draw bridge and a potential capture chamber. We'll see how it goes.

A  human diplomat just showed up... at the top of a tree! Wonderful. Really hope he comes down on his own. I can't deal with human stupidity right now.

Here's the new and improved lower cavern entrance. There's a trap area up top where you can see several giant wolves and that one giant cougar hanging out, along with some statues. The idea is Hode should come and attack the wolves and probably topple some statues and while he's preoccupied with that I can close the drawbridge on him. There's also some fortifications carved into the side so if everything goes as planned I may end up with a source of forgotten beast silk.

Well the stupid human diplomat wasn't coming down so I had Snake Eater come out there and give him a hand down by chopping down the tree. What a wuss. He's literally crying over a couple of bruises.

It took quite a bit of time but Hode finally showed back up. My giant cougar decided to wander off and got in a fight with it. The cougar died, of course, but looks like it got some hits in before Hode ripped it to shreds. Under normal circumstances I would consider sending my soldiers out after it but it's positioned itself in a very inconvenient location. Without exploring the caverns further, it looks like my soldiers would have to take the scenic route to get to it, if that's even possible.

Well, looks like Hode will have to wait. My first siege! This is the day The Barricaded Libraries has been training for. I should note that along with the population decrease I also decreased the number of invaders to match. At no point should there be more than thirty of these guys. To my disappointment there's only three of them this time.

Yeah, the battle is hardly worth mentioning. The morons filtered into my fortress one at a time and were immediately cut to pieces. I don't even know why I bothered sending out any soldiers. The traps would have been more than enough.

Hode is still hanging out in that same spot. Every once in a while he'll move a couple of tiles but he's been sticking to the same general area. I even lowered the drawbridge a couple of times to try to coax him in but he seems totally uninterested. It may come down to sending my soldiers out to meet him in the cavern. I don't relish that option at all. I'll let him stew there for now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:27:47 am by Lemunde »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 06:34:37 am »

I'm not entirely sure how this happened, but both Dread Mistress and Peach drowned in my failed cistern. The only possible way they could have gotten in there is by swimming down through the opening in the stream above. Why they would want to do this is beyond me. I can only guess that it has something to do with the barracks being adjacent so I went ahead and shrunk it down and divided it into two different barracks to make full use of the space.

I am not happy about this. They were among my most skilled soldiers and to die this way is incredibly lame. If they had fallen in battle with a titan or forgotten beast that would at least have been an epic encounter to write stories about. Death by buggy code is just plain bullshit. Bugs are always expected with Dwarf Fortress but when they happen like this it's neither fun nor !!fun!!

I replaced the two with a human bard and one of my engravers and promoted Clever Girl to captain of the guard.

I'm probably letting my emotions get the better of me but I decided to stop waiting for Hode to get off his blind ass and attack me so I'm bringing the fight to him. May Id have mercy on us all.

Well, that didn't go well at all. They got quite a few hits in and did a good bit of damage, but in the end it wasn't enough.

I'm sorry but I really don't feel like carrying on with this fortress in this state. It was a good run but losing those two dwarves that way really made me lose all interest in Emeraldroad. It's quite possibly the worst way to bring this blog to an end, but thank you for following I hope you all enjoyed the ride while it lasted. Hopefully my next one will go a bit better. Feel free to leave any thoughts, comments, criticisms, or feedback.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 10:39:38 am »

Death by buggy code is just plain bullshit.

That made my day  :D

Are you sure they wasn't in a suicidal / ghost / possessed mode ?

Was you really playing a standard game or a MW / modded one ?

I liked your professional play, anyway.

I would like to start to play again ...
... so many ideas, updates... and so many new ways to die ...

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 04:53:46 pm »

Pretty sure. If they were just possessed or suicidal they could have drowned themselves anywhere, but they were trying too hard to get near the barracks. No mods other than graphical enhancements. I wasn't even using DFHack.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:37 am »

Pretty sure. If they were just possessed or suicidal they could have drowned themselves anywhere, but they were trying too hard to get near the barracks. No mods other than graphical enhancements. I wasn't even using DFHack.

I lost my best warrior in the same way once ...
... stopped to play also :)

It fell into a well ...

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:07 pm »

I'm not entirely sure how this happened, but both Dread Mistress and Peach drowned in my failed cistern. The only possible way they could have gotten in there is by swimming down through the opening in the stream above. Why they would want to do this is beyond me. I can only guess that it has something to do with the barracks being adjacent so I went ahead and shrunk it down and divided it into two different barracks to make full use of the space.

I know what happened, and you are correct to suspect the barracks.  Sorry to resurrect this but its important for players to know this and design their fortresses around this bug!

When dodging, soldiers will occasionally teleport clean through a wall.  Therefore, it is very important that barracks & training rooms be designed with that in mind - be careful to keep them far from dangerous space, or to use double-thick walls to protect them from spaces that you don't want them in.

This is also an important building technique for combat zones - if your dwarves frequently fight over moats or rivers (or magma!), you've probably already learned that a single wall will prevent most dodging falls into the drink, but you'll need a double-thick wall to completely prevent them.  Be aware of walled off spaces as well - I've once found a soldier starving to death after an invasion, within a hollowed 3x3 pillar of walls, sharing the hollow with a hidden statue!  Just a silly building for aesthetics on my part, that almost cost me a good soldier...
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 [2]