Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designated Walls stopping Megabeasts in their tracks?  (Read 1128 times)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designated Walls stopping Megabeasts in their tracks?
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:06 am »

A forgotten beast appeared and charged towards my cavern-shaft when I was still constructing the anti-FB defenses so I evacuated the lower levels and designated a wall to be built to seal off the area until my marksdwarves could return from a raid. The beast got there well before the mason, but I looked and apparently it was staying right there, not moving. I looked to see if it had somehow been stopped by the door despite being a building destroyer, but the door was accidentally left passable and pet-passable. Can anyone confirm if this is a bug?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designated Walls stopping Megabeasts in their tracks?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:05 am »

When I evacuate caverns due to nasty critters appearing walls are sometimes left half built and sometimes "toppled" by building destroyers ("toppled" is the term used in the message).
There is a known bug with building destroyers that if they happen to get too close to the target, i.e. adjacent to it rather than two tiles away, they get stuck until dislodged by a juicy critter to attack (at least titans/FBs, trolls might still be too docile to switch targets): they're too close to attack, but are still unable to move out to the correct distance.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »

What version is that? So far I've been always encountering the bug mentioned above with built or partially built structures, hatches etc. The ones which can be actually destroyed. I don't remember a FB or troll stopping before a designated structure, which was not worked upon. However, if FB is standing next to actual door, already built, it can happen - FBs don't care about passability. They want to destroy door first, and if they are too close they can be stuck (assuming it wasn't fixed recently).

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:33:17 pm »

When I evacuate caverns due to nasty critters appearing walls are sometimes left half built and sometimes "toppled" by building destroyers ("toppled" is the term used in the message).
There is a known bug with building destroyers that if they happen to get too close to the target, i.e. adjacent to it rather than two tiles away, they get stuck until dislodged by a juicy critter to attack (at least titans/FBs, trolls might still be too docile to switch targets): they're too close to attack, but are still unable to move out to the correct distance.
Looks like what's happening. Thanks. Now I'll actually have time to build a cave-in trap against it.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.