Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blind Necromancers?  (Read 931 times)

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind Necromancers?
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:05 am »

So I've finally destroyed a necromancer tower that has been bothering me for nearly five years, and while most of the Necromancers were killed, I did capture one alive. Now most people use captured Necromancers for undead training, but I plan on retiring this fort soon, so I'm not too interested in that. Instead, I'm trying to come up with a way to permanently imprison or execute the last necromancer in the most horrible creative way possible. Now the first thing that came to mind was that I've captured a couple forgotten beasts. One has deadly dust that causes blindness. So I'm thinking: if I get this necromancer blind and stick them in a room of corpses, will they be unable to raise the corpses? If that's the case, I can have the ultimate irony: a necromancer with an army that he could easily use to destroy the fort, mere inches from him, but he can't make use of it. All he can do is smell the rot and lament his failings. But would this actually work?

Also, if I retire a fort with forgotten beasts pens, are those beasts liable to escape later on and destroy that fortress while I'm playing a new fort? Do I need to kill all of the beasts to keep them from rampaging through the fortress the moment I retire?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Necromancers?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:43:46 am »

Necromancers currently do not plan, so they raise dead only when threatened (and it can be frustratingly hard get them sufficiently threatened at times).
Personally I fail to see the point of torture as a punishment, and it's useless to extract information (it's fairly successful at extracting "confessions" instead). The only possible actual usage of it I can seen is as a deterrent, but that requires that the ones you want to deter actually know about it. Just kill the bugger (you can use it for training if you prefer, to get some usage out of it).

Locked doors and whatnot have no effect on creatures in retired fortresses. I don't know if they'll rampage the moment you retire, or if they somehow just co-exist with the inhabitants until you try to resume it (at which time I'm fairly sure they'll rampage if they didn't do so before). To neutralize them you need to kill them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:50 pm »

You should totally try that for science. I expect that they could also locate a raiseable corpse by being right on top of it.

If this holds true I wonder what kind of modding uses it could have?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 03:36:37 am »

You should totally try that for science. I expect that they could also locate a raiseable corpse by being right on top of it.

If this holds true I wonder what kind of modding uses it could have?

I accidentally went to the circus after losing at minesweeper shortly after making that post, and I decided to make a tactical retreat to a new fortress. It was contained to cavern 3 but I'm not partial to having my units list and my FPS swamped. I guess we'll have to wait until another time to find out about how necromancers cope with disability.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:44 am »

You can use DFHack on the old fortress, just to get your testing ground back.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.