Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what would happen  (Read 691 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what would happen
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »

If I downloaded dwarf fortress on an android phone via the browser and tried playing it?

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what would happen
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »

We would have to assume your perseverance and android prowess to guess which aspect of the problem would cause you to admit it doesn't work. So go ahead, try it and let us know.  :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:39:03 pm »

Unless you equip the phone with an emulator for one of the processors/OS versions DF is available for, nothing (I have no idea of whether such emulators exist). DF is compiled, not a script in Java or similar text parsing scripting language.

Khthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »

Making the giant leap in assumptions that you could actually get it running on some hokey linux distro for phones that allowed you to run it, my guess is DF would crash during world generation, or possibly ignite the battery from all the heat generated during play.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:34:30 pm »

There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that trying to do this will unlock the secret NSA-only processor installed in all tablets, phones and refrigerators, and that by spelling out the correct commands in microcline walls you are able to gain access to the Illuminati's reserve of Bitcoin (all the ones that Bitcoin Miners haven't yet been allowed to 'mine') and also the teleporter activation codes that will get you to any of the moonbases (on any of the moons except Europa, for obvious reasons, and Charon, because they're arguing about that one again). You also get to use the thing that lets you activate the spring-loaded boxing glove hidden within the edge bevel of every display device. If it were true. Which it is not, obviously.

In fact, there is no rumour. Ow! Stop hitting me, whoever it is. Ow! Ok, whoever it isn't.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »

So I went ahead and downloaded dwarf fortress. My phone is an older model.

There are very few actual problems. Because samsung lets you view your files, I figured I'd be able to still select dwarf fortress through there.

I used the phone to unzip the file and man, it was way faster than on pc. After it was unzipped, it was surprisingly like on a pc. I could fo into subfiles and whatnot and rummage around. I tried launching the dwarf fortress.exe file. It said that it couldnt launch exe files and wanted me to search the playstore for an app with such a capability.

In conclusion- it doesn't work, but the only barrier is the fact that the phone cant run exe files. I have my guess that the OS may not be compatible, but I'd have to launch DF to check, which I cant do. Does anyone know of an app that can allow that capability, as mentioned above?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:38:44 pm by Romegypt »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:40 pm »

You can get emulators. All I know about them is that they exist.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:58:39 pm »

If you have a rooted phone you could replace the OS altogether with Linux. Ubuntu's mobile version has been around for a while. Might work. Likely better performance than an emulator. Best not to have high expectations though.

Connecting remotely is much easier apparently. Utils forum somewhere should be able to help you with that.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:02:48 pm »

Using Ubuntu on phone wouldn't work either, DF was compiled for x64, phone CPUs are ARM. An emulator *might* work, but would be so terrible slow. Crashy and slow.