Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caplab - The Return of Capitalism  (Read 491 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Caplab - The Return of Capitalism
« on: June 05, 2024, 12:20:06 pm »

So here's something cool I found out, apparently ye olde Capitalism 2 is still alive and kicking. Their parent studio Enlight Software remains active and continues to quietly develop the game.
For those that never heard of it Capitalism 2 was a 2000's game/economic sim which allowed you to play as a corporation and do all sorts of businesses (and naughty things) on the stock market. Capital manipulation, undercutting your rivals for market share, stock market betting, you name it.

Over the course since it was resurrected capitalism lab was upgraded to run better on modern machines, gained a plethora of new features that one can check out on the forums and so far four DLCs (one is hidden in the site for some reason) that add subsidiary pupetting, digital era businesses such as software and internet companies, a more fleshed out city simulation (yes you can buy elections and have minions as mayors), and a financial simulation DLC that added banks and insurance companies (I must say I think I finally have a grasp on what the fuck is equity capital)

What motivated me to share about this little gem here is I decided as usual to customize the game for my enjoyment (yes it has modding), and to my surprise the Enlight community manager was an incredibly helpful person who personally aided me to nail two bugs in my mod/their game by sending the mod and a save to the developer team. Their tiny community allows for very close contact with the CM which was very cool.

Pros:
Detailed economic and stock simulation
Cute little product art icons
Moddable
Extremely customizeable game rules in sandbox
Proactive community engagement.
Runs fine in 1920x1080 (my rig) what is a bonus for old game.

Cons:
I found the price tag a little sharp, especially against my local currency.
Some features aged badly from 2000 to now, such as the 3x3 module grid which becomes a pain to set up en masse.
Some repetitiveness in tasks such as research could be simplified.

Disclaimers:

The game seems to make use of AI art in some assets (or an artist that has a very close style), while this can lead to a very colorful discussion about AI usage in games since I recognize people are quite polar in that regard, I'd ask to keep this discussion out of this thread.
I received no benefits to make this post, this is genuinely from a good experience with the game and this isn't an advert-a-account as my former engagement in the community (and ancient age) may attest.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 12:23:28 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caplab - The Return of Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 05:16:25 pm »

Their art assets were there long before AI art.  Unless they finally added new graphics recently.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Caplab - The Return of Capitalism
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 06:09:02 pm »

I received no benefits to make this post

How very un-capitalist of you sir.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti