Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unwanted Water Stacks  (Read 1102 times)

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unwanted Water Stacks
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:14:47 am »

As time passes, I find buckets of water piling up around the fort, usually in bedrooms. Through the Stocks menu, I mark the water for dumping in the garbage zone, but it never gets dumped. How (besides magma) can I get rid of the water from these buckets?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Unwanted Water Stacks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:26:18 am »

This needs science. Can water in buckets evaporate? I know magma in minecarts can.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:58:36 am »

There's a DFHack script/plugin that empties such buckets. It also ought to be possible to get rid of the water by forbidding the water and designate the buckets for trading, but then not trade them. I do not think water in buckets evaporate.

Water (or magma) in mine carts shouldn't evaporate unless you can somehow get a single unit of fluid into it (instead of the normal two). As I've never seen that happening, I've never seen evaporation from them either.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:37 am »

One way to deal with the problem: mark the water itself as forbidden then assign the buckets to be traded. Your dwarfs will pour out the water on the floor before carrying the bucket to the depot. After you 'claim' the forbidden water it'll probably generate a cleaning job. If trading with the elves, remember to un-assign any wooden buckets for trading before entering the trade screen.

You can forbid the water in the stocks screen, just check afterwards and ensure that any water in well-buckets is no longer forbidden.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:05 am »

Thanks for the idea: forbid water, trade (not sell) buckets. I will try that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:44:15 am »

If trading with the elves, remember to un-assign any wooden buckets for trading before entering the trade screen.
Not necessary, unless you're afraid you'll mis-select. They don't complain about forbidden goods (or containers) so long as you don't offer them.

(Last trade with the elves I did, last night, had wooden bins with mixed wooden/non-wooden items in them, plus loose wooden furniture that I'd added to the [PENDING] queue to finesse a movement of the items to nearer where I wanted them (also, likely going to be at zero distance when I select them for trading with the Dorf traders), via the ultra-high-priority Trade Goods hauling that overrides pretty much all the other jobs. I didn't detrade anything, after they'd arrived, just carefully stepped across wooden things when marking my offered stone goods. They certainly didn't add anything wood to the list when I'd made a stingy offering, but then they had plenty of non-wood to choose from all the while. Maybe if you're on the edge of "can't fathom you with all those items" they might try to select things they wouldn't accept, first, but I've not seen that happen and would assume they'd self-censor their own suggested additions rather than end up insulting themselves.)

An aside from the original question, but might be useful to know in this situation, anyway

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:49 pm »

After getting burnt by decorations on invader gear containing wood, I use a script to deselect wood from elven trade offerings. That junk can then be disposed of via the human caravan instead.

Khthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:41:22 pm »

What's probably happening is a dwarf gets thirsty (possibly even goes to sleep thirsty, since these are ending up in bedrooms), while another dwarf gets a bucket of water for them. Drinking water does not empty the bucket, and because AFAIK there are not stockpile settings for buckets with water in them (similar to how frozen lye will tend to sit outside until you can haul it inside to a trade depot) they are just left sitting there.

One workaround, if I'm not mistaken, is to disable your water source zones and set a pond area to fill, the dwarfs should dump the water out before eventually throwing error announcements about a lack of water and/or buckets. I'll agree it is a hassle, and one that could probably easily be solved by making the drink/give water action empty the bucket regardless of how thirsty a unit is. I imagine it's set like that so in theory one bucket can be used to give water to multiple thirsty creatures, but in practice it's pretty much how you've described—you end up with partially filled buckets of water littering your fortress.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »

Make iron bucket and periodically dip them in magma.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »

After getting burnt by decorations on invader gear containing wood, I use a script to deselect wood from elven trade offerings. That junk can then be disposed of via the human caravan instead.

What script is this? Do you know if you can use it to deselect artifacts from the trade, too?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 02:33:53 am »

What script is this? Do you know if you can use it to deselect artifacts from the trade, too?

This script(s): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164916.msg7515258#msg7515258 also found here:
https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/tree/own_scripts

The scripts currently don't exclude artifacts, but they could be changed to do so.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 03:28:55 am »

(Don't haul artefacts into trade (you never used to be able to, right?!?), or just refuse to select them and swap them out for a different "how about these as well?" set of compromise items if asked. I really ought to use pedestals/etc, anyway, I still seal away my artefacts in a dedicated 1x1 stockpile locked away at the end of a small labyrinth somewhere in my fortress. Is this really a script-worthy thing? Hmmm, multiply a fraction of a second by the number of artefacts the average number of players get times the number of players who would use it, minus the time to alter the script both centrally and distributedly, and it might even outlast the time it took to write this reply. Oh, go on then. :P)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:07:45 am »

I know it seems trivial, but I've accidentally traded at least three artifacts just by mass-selecting all of my crafts and worn-out clothes for trade. One entry in the pages and pages of trade goods always turns out to be a sheep-bone ring or an adamantine sock...
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 04:28:20 am »

(I don't think I've ever mass-selected. For one thing, I never trade hard-earned/crafted bins, so I would need to deselect them and reselect everything within them anyway. If you're making a script to do things like that then make tradable bins unpack themselves (optionally: of just non-wood items) and then detrademark themselves ready for immediate return to stockpiles. You might get another customer. Except that I'd probably go more for one that selected just enough items from the cheapest/expensivest/heaviest/lightest end of the list (depending on caravan and caravan conditions) to build up to asked-for-cost plus #configurable#% profit-margin, with that optional skip-wood option. I'm just in a slightly different market from anyone else, it seems. And I'd have to add DFHack again, first. Maybe just ignore me!)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 07:15:36 am »

(I don't think I've ever mass-selected. For one thing, I never trade hard-earned/crafted bins, so I would need to deselect them and reselect everything within them anyway. If you're making a script to do things like that then make tradable bins unpack themselves (optionally: of just non-wood items) and then detrademark themselves ready for immediate return to stockpiles. You might get another customer. Except that I'd probably go more for one that selected just enough items from the cheapest/expensivest/heaviest/lightest end of the list (depending on caravan and caravan conditions) to build up to asked-for-cost plus #configurable#% profit-margin, with that optional skip-wood option. I'm just in a slightly different market from anyone else, it seems. And I'd have to add DFHack again, first. Maybe just ignore me!)
I have no issues with you modifying the scripts to your own taste... And the "allbutbin" part is where it started: I got tired of manually deselecting the bins and selecting their contents... Also note that the scripts only address trading from the trade screen, not the hauling to the trade depot (I've thought about it, but thinking does not cause scripts to materialize, apparently).