Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why did the cyclops die?  (Read 1455 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why did the cyclops die?
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:31:04 am »

A cyclops visited my fort uninvited. The access bridge was luckily raised at the time, as I learned my lesson from when a wererhinoceros came. I figured out I'd wait it out, let it become bored and leave. It kept killing various woodland animals that were passing through. Eventually I decided to trap it into a cage instead, placed an order for 5 cages so I could make an unavoidable row of cage traps behind the bridge. All preparations were going according to plan, traps were in place, lever was pulled, bridge was lowered. All that remained was for the cyclops to come and fall into one of the traps. So I waited. And waited. And waited. It was taking its sweet time, so I decided to take a look at it. I couldn't find it in its usual place on the units list and after a little while I found out that it was dead. It wasn't killed in combat, it just kinda... Died. I don't know why. I salvaged following info from the combat log:

Spoiler: combat log (click to show/hide)

It looks like it got hit by something and bled out afterwards. It is unrelated to the turkey, that happened about 20 days before, according to the log.

Here is the body itself:

Spoiler: body (click to show/hide)

Looks like it started bleeding in a middle of nowhere, walked about 25 tiles and died.

So, the question is: Why did the cyclops die?

(Bonus fact: an elven caravan came during cyclops' stay. The cyclops ignored it, it looks like that elven "at peace with wildlife" feature involves cyclopses as well.)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Why did the cyclops die?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:26:07 am »

Was there any sort of cliff it could have fallen off of? It sounds like charging or dodging off a high place from that report.
Or a tree maybe? Can cyclops and turkeys climb?

There's also the old tree spawns under creature trapping them in branches bug. That might have led them to fall.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:48:43 am »

Not only did the turkey fight take place 20 days earlier, the turkey corpse is pretty far as well (on the other side of embark), so I am sure that it is unrelated.

There are no cliffs present whatsoever, it is a flat woodland neighboring an ocean. If it fell, it must have fallen from a tree, but how and why would it get on one in the first place?

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:52 am »

My guess is that it ran into a were-beast attack.

I'm pretty sure that were-beasts are stealthed and only announced when detected by your fort.  I have seen packs of wild surface animals get torn to shreds with no indication of what was doing the damage until the were-beast got close to my subterranean main entrance.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:09:00 am »

The werebeast attack seems plausible, so I looked into it. I do have a wererhino living nearby. The wiki says that full moons are, among other days, on 23rd Slate and 21st Felsite. Combat log however shows that the cyclops got injured and died on 11th Felsite, 8. So I think that werebeast wasn't involved.

edit: typo

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:20:08 pm »

It wanted to get to the other side.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:44:39 pm »

It wanted to get to the other side.

This is obviously why.

Also it is 100% possible for a werebeast to sneak in, kill a lot of things without being detected, and leave.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:00:38 pm »

I am under impression that werebeasts transform only during full moon. List of full moons can be found here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Calendar#Months_and_seasons

Combat report states it happened on 11th Felsite. It is not on the screenshot I linked, because I cut it together with large black area, which would have taken majority of the screenshot. But I checked and I am sure with that date. Nearest full moon is 21st Felsite, so if a werebeast is to blame, it morphed 10 days early. Is it possible?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 09:09:38 pm »

That's definitely death from a fall.  So either it was climbing and fell (most logical reason with no other information), or it dodged something (possibly a bird) and fell.  It's definitely not the werebeast given that it's 10 days too early.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:55 am »

An adventurer of mine, a demigod were necromancer, bored of his traveling, jumped from a tree in the middle of a forest.

He landed on his neck artery and watched in horror his obsessed vitality flowed away.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:10:00 pm »

I have watched as an outpost liaison climbed a tree to get over a wall in order to leave this fortress. I've seen him climb all over the place in another. Looks like he entered some kind of pathing frenzy each time a drawbridge was raised when he wanted to leave. Perhaps the cyclops started climbing whatever he could when he couldn't get in? That particular tree was nowhere near the wall though.