Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MonsterSlayer pikeman wielding The Great Forest Retreat, a brimstone-bound codex  (Read 901 times)

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

18th Limestone, 253
So I'm minding my own business, dwarfin' it up, normal Fortress mode stuff, getting several monster slayers hanging out patrolling the caverns, etc., when I see some combat logs pop up. I check them and notice that it's the Human Pikeman Lipi Newimomba fighting a Troll. "Cool", I think, "he'll stab this troll right in the guts." So I start watching this combat unfold and notice that the pikeman's weapon is named. "Oh, an artifact pike?" I think to myself as I scroll through the logs, watching the pikeman deftly dodging the troll's attacks. "Wait, why is he only bashing with the pike? Stab him!" I say to myself before checking "The Great Forest Retreat", the pikeman's weapon. This is when I discovered that he was not using a pike at all, but a brimstone-bound codex.

This is a brimstone-bound codex.
The written portion consists of a 29 page guide entitled The Great Forest Retreat, authored by Amala Sensegrotto. It concerns the forest retreat Ravenroared. The writing is stunningly self-indulgent. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

Oh. By this point the troll had passed out and the pikeman was beating it over the head with the codex. "He'll pass out before killing it" I think to myself. I'm about to turn my attention to something else when I see that the troll was struck down. Well then, this could be interesting.

17th Timber, 253
Fast forward a bit, I see that I have more combat logs but ignore them a bit. Then I see this:

Masthos Ritanetur, militia commander cancels Store Item in Bin: Webbed.
Lipi Nesimomba, Human Pikeman has been found dead.

Oh boy, I've played enough DF to know what this means. Let me check the logs...

He got 3 hits in before being webbed, the Giant Cave Spider couldn't bite through his (large bronze helm), so it grabbed him by the head and shook him violently until his neck snapped. He's lucky he passed out halfway through.

R.I.P. Lipi Nesimomba, Human Pikeman, slain by Konliethlal the Giant Cave Spider.

Now I have a spider problem to deal with... maybe the guys that brought real weapons can finish the job?
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has been possessed!
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has given birth to a girl.

Fountainice, my first Dwarf Fortress Let's Play.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

Only 29 pages in that book, he should have brought a bigger book! How much does the book weigh?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only 29 pages in that book, he should have brought a bigger book! How much does the book weigh?

You said it, and 2 urists, and is only worth 110 dwarfbucks. It's covered in troll blood now too.
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has been possessed!
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has given birth to a girl.

Fountainice, my first Dwarf Fortress Let's Play.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had something similar happen. got a few monster hunters. and eventually found a macedwarf fighting some troglodytes. I noticed he was mostly hitting them with his copper shield, and ocasionally with a named weapon. so I was like 'oh. I guess I'll go see what this guy has, maybe it has a kill list.'
... turns out. he was wielding a mood artifact wooden toy hammer... ('all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality'). seemed to mostly use it to stun his enemies before bashing their heads in with the shield.

he did eventually die (I mean. you can only hold out against numerous troglodytes for so long without a proper weapon). eventually they killed him by blunt force to the head. his helmet kept blocking everything, but eventually the force of the impact was enough to twist his head around untill his neck snapped. I still need to reclaim that hammer though...
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.