Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploit to plant all crops in one plot!  (Read 1505 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploit to plant all crops in one plot!
« on: March 27, 2018, 04:24:56 pm »

So I discovered an exploit by accident. It appears that if you dig a ramp up in the ground to a surface tile the tile may occasionally be considered "inside,  dark, subterranean"

Not too unusual right? Except you can plant surface crops and subterranean crops on these tiles. Pretty weird glitch. Can anyone help confirm this?

Edit: did a bit more testing,  seems you can plant surface and subterranean crops in the same plot so long as at least one tile is considered light and one dark.

Also seems as long as a ramp is built from below it will always be considered dark and subterranean.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:31:25 pm by nuget102 »
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploit to plant all crops in one plot!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:53 pm »

My understanding is that if the status of the tiles on a plot are mixed (underground and above ground), both options will show up. However, I believe that crops will only grow in their respective environments, regardless what the plot itself is set to. I am unsure whether dwarves will even attempt to plant plump helmets in the above ground tiles on a mixed farm plot, but I am thinking it isn't an exploit per se. Instead of being able to plant all crops on every tile of your plot, it would be the equivalent to having both an UG plot and an AG plot, where you only used one at a time.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

My understanding is that if the status of the tiles on a plot are mixed (underground and above ground), both options will show up. However, I believe that crops will only grow in their respective environments, regardless what the plot itself is set to. I am unsure whether dwarves will even attempt to plant plump helmets in the above ground tiles on a mixed farm plot, but I am thinking it isn't an exploit per se. Instead of being able to plant all crops on every tile of your plot, it would be the equivalent to having both an UG plot and an AG plot, where you only used one at a time.

Hm. It appeared they were planting the crops across the entire plot. I'll take an extra look and see tomorrow.

Either way, ramp tiles not updating is a bug. Even after removing the ramp they remain inside tiles.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:44:37 pm »

I'm fairly certain I've seen a similar thing with regards to fortresses that are embarked in a half-temperate, half-tropical environment. I seem to recall that building plots in the half-way spot resulted in more options (temperate and tropical), but not all options would be viable on all tiles. That fort was a pretty good while back though, so I could be remembering incorrectly. If you can plant crops on a tile that is considered subterranean, you may want to consider reporting it as a bug.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:16 pm »

I have played with setting flags on plots with dfhack in the past.

On a large plot, having some tiles be LIGHT and some DARK, allows all seeds to be enabled from the menu. However, the dwarves are crafty, and know that the ones in the dark get the underground crop seeds, and the ones in the light get the surface crop seeds.  They wont plant in the wrong areas. The other tiles just wont get seeds in them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:19:49 am »

0.44.04 fixed a mixed biome farm plot bug, so experiments prior to that are probably not valid.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:28:46 am »

I can easily replicate the experiment. I might just do that.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:11:54 pm »

Feel free to let this thread die then. :) thanks for the info guys.