Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: job designation  (Read 492 times)

Lolor31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
job designation
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:09 am »

my current fort is the third without automatic assignment (of the LNP) and I have had several complications with the work, so I want to know how other players designate jobs.

what they do with dwarves who only know one skill, which is also not very important: the third milker who comes in the same group of migrants

what do they do if they need weapons but none of their dwarves has any skill in that, do you assign any dwarves that are not doing something important? or are you just waiting for someone with skill to come?

what dwarves do you put in the army, peasants? your 7 chesee maker?

that affects your decisions (dreams / stats / family)

hauling: do you put all your dwarves with some hauling jobs? Dwarves with important jobs also have it as legendary masons or miners, do the same with "other jobs"?

how many jobs do you put on a single dwarf, your miners only work as miners or your masons? How about dwarves with jobs like wood burner or butcher
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:45:45 am by Lolor31 »

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: job designation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:39 am »

While it is worth specializing your craftsdwarves, it is less necessary to do so for your agricultural dwarves. So when I get milkers or cheese makers, I usually just turn all of their farming labors on (except tanner) and let them accomplish everything. It may not be as efficient (higher skill reduces job time), but it does keep all the individual parts moving independent of whether a specific dwarf is sleepy or what have you. I might turn cooking off on my general farmers, too, since next I'd like to try using cooking to cross-train my aspiring scholars.

As for how I decide what to do with migrants, I usually check their preferences. If they happen to like long swords and I feel like having a candy long sword would be cool, then I set said migrant to be a weaponsmith. I find it more troublesome picking out potential recruits and scholars than I do to figure out who will be my craftsdwarves.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:23:07 pm »

If the dwarf has a skill I really want (metal stuff, mostly), I enable that and disable everything else. 
Most dwarves have all the skills that don't affect quality of products enabled. 
Dwarves with military skill become professional army, and the lowest skilled peasants etc. become cannon fodder.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »

When I need a dwarf to start new with a skill like weaponsmith, I take time and choose a dwarf that is creative and would make a good weaponsmith. When I need a dwarf to begin working a skill like cheesemaking, I pick a dwarf that is of no great importance.

All of my dwarfs are in the military. Dwarf Therapist allows you to sort by squads and if a dwarf is not in a squad, I put him in one. I have three categories of military squads:
the full-time military:
    squads that are scheduled to train 2 months per season, and have the best equipment.
    During one month per season, they do civilian work like milking, wood burning, and plant gathering. Sometimes I
    deactivate that squad's schedule when I need to resolve a production bottleneck (need to mill a lot of dimplecups or
    burn a lot of wood).
the crafting militia:
    squads that have no scheduled training, but have a barracks for individual combat drills and a cheap uniform.
    Most of the time they are at a workshop, because they are the ones that produce the high-quality weapons, goblets, and rock tables.
the civilian laborers:
    squads that have no schedule, no barracks, and no uniform.
    These are the miners, woodcutters, and hunters, and are only in the military for my organizing.

All migrants are sorted into those three categories based on incoming skills or needs.

I rarely pay attention to their dreams and ambitions because there is always a shortage of bedrooms, armor, and rock blocks that needs attention first.

Hauling is eventually turned off for the crafting militia squads.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:49:06 am »

I play vanilla DF. If I play 220 embark, then I go for 100 peasant soldiers. If I play 110 embark, then I got for 100 craftsmen militia.
Vanilla DF allows custom naming jobs. In military menu I name squads like AX1, BOW2.
So my legendary ax Dwarf, a commander of his own squad, and legendary fisher militia Dwarf has custom named job like "AX1c,FISHER-16". Adding there little c on end for noble screen commander makes life so easier. Having defined in job description "AX1" is a life saver, when assigning Dwarves to squads in military menu. You can't make mistake this way. Who needs that Dwarf Therapist? Right?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:50:41 am by Sarmatian123 »