Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants will not leave (  (Read 1300 times)

Jack_Smythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants will not leave (
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:31 pm »

Using 40.24, LNP, DF hack.

My home civilization is mostly dead, afaik, being warned of such on embark, though no-one was appointed to fill in the gaps. The first two migrant waves arrived, followed by merchants (without liason, which was remarked on in an announcement). They unloaded, refused to trade (even with broker present, said there was no merchants trading at the time), then re-loaded their carts and prompty stopped moving. The guards wander about near their merchant, but the wagons, animals, and traders are frozen in different spots across the map.

Primary questions:
Is this because they have no-where to return to?
Will they go insane eventually?
If they do, can I defend myself w/o going into a loyalty cascade?

Secondary question:
Can I take their stuff out of the wagons while they're sitting there?
Catch-22: If you had a pick, you could get to the pick, but if you had one, you wouldn't need to.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants will not leave (
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »

The answer to question 1 is no. You're experiencing a bug.

Other than that, to be honest you're better off using a modern version of DF. Both the game and DFhack have seen hundreds of bugs fixed in the past 4 years. Could be anything, so the only answers are maybe, probably, wait and see and tell us (then upgrade).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:22:03 pm »

The typical reason for trading being broken off is an inbound merchant seeing half a goblin tooth, panicking and scuttling the goods (in which case there should be a pile of junk somewhere along the merchant inbound path) and fleeing. The merchant *should* have brought the rest of the merchants with him, so them freezing is a bug.
With the modern versions of DF I have twice experienced a panicking merchant scuttling goods and fleeing, while the rest of the merchants proceeded to the trade depot and traded as usual. I have not encountered that with 0.40.24, however.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »

The typical reason for trading being broken off is an inbound merchant seeing half a goblin tooth, panicking and scuttling the goods (in which case there should be a pile of junk somewhere along the merchant inbound path) and fleeing. The merchant *should* have brought the rest of the merchants with him, so them freezing is a bug.
With the modern versions of DF I have twice experienced a panicking merchant scuttling goods and fleeing, while the rest of the merchants proceeded to the trade depot and traded as usual. I have not encountered that with 0.40.24, however.
Ah yes, the fear inducing tooth. Glad we don't have to put up with that any more. Merchants these days seem to happily plow through mounds of body parts and beat up the local wildlife with no issues. Goblin ambush managed to send my last lot running, but that's only to be expected.

Jack_Smythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:34:17 pm »

The answer to question 1 is no. You're experiencing a bug.

Other than that, to be honest you're better off using a modern version of DF. Both the game and DFhack have seen hundreds of bugs fixed in the past 4 years. Could be anything, so the only answers are maybe, probably, wait and see and tell us (then upgrade).

Thanks for the advice! Honestly, I thought I was using the latest one until I checked the version to be sure when I posted about it, lol. It ended up crashing shortly afterwards, so I just trashed it all and went to get the new one. As far as I could tell, couldn't loot the wagons or yaks without killing them, and I hardly wanted to engrave yet another brave wagon onto my hovel's entrance. Fun little thing, though.
Catch-22: If you had a pick, you could get to the pick, but if you had one, you wouldn't need to.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:09 pm »

I had a merchant flip out at the sight of a goblin hand yesterday. Seems to happen less often though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:20:36 am »

Yes, caravans are more resilient now, but not immune.