Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats up with my crossbow dorfs?  (Read 694 times)

pasanax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats up with my crossbow dorfs?
« on: March 05, 2018, 07:22:02 am »

So I've trapped some goblins and trolls, and used them as target practice for my crossbow dwarfs. I've built a nice large room with walls carved as fortifications so dwarfs can practice their shooting skills on living breathing gobbos (trolls not included because they climbed their way out of the shooting chamber and spread some fun in my fort). But I seem to have a little problem now... That one goblin that I put there simply cant die. He hasn't taken a single bolt wound. I have pages and pages of his combat log and he seems to be blocking every single incoming shot. Am talking here about a year worth of shooting at him. I've literally shot all my practice ammo at him. Is that a bug, or maybe the problem is that am using wooden bolts (was gonna bludgeon him to death)? Although I switched to bone bolts, and its the same thing - gobbo guy blocks all incoming projectiles. Problem is, gobbo is scaring all my dwellers in fort because he counts as an invader and I cant kill him with my melee dwarfs because they are stuck on a artifact recovery mission (i believe they are MIA).

Heck, even if i had melee dwarves to finish him off, i would be too damn scared to send any to fight this demi-god goblin. Wtf is going on? Is that a bug? I need answers ! :D

1" border="0
2" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>post images[/url]

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with my crossbow dorfs?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:49:08 am »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:52:36 am »

Well he is just blocking your shots with his shield and maybe he is even getting better at it as well. You might eventually get a lucky shot causing him to drop his shield or causing some other serious injury but you are probably better off blocking access to your civilians around him.

On the bright side, you now have an immortal punching bag and as far as i know your dwarves will still get exp from shooting at him.

For the next goblin, you can remove his weapons/armor before throwing him in the execution chamber, by putting it in a built cage and then using the claim and dump commands on it.

edit: Wooden bolts are terrible at penetrating to begin with , but I doubt you can bypass his shield by using metal ones. You might cause the shield to detoriate with them though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:56:36 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:56:51 am »

You've been training his blocking skill for a year with featherwood bolts, so he SHOULD be damned good by now. Placing the bugger in a location that's visible to the civilians is a poor choice (as you've experienced). If you just want to get rid of him you can make an exit from the room where you place a cage trap or an atom smashing trap.

You don't need to build a cage to strip the enemy inside it, but you probably want to build the cage to eventually release him for continued training...

pasanax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:38 am »

On the bright side, you now have an immortal punching bag and as far as i know your dwarves will still get exp from shooting at him.

Haha now thats true. My crossbows got around 10 skillpoints in marksdwarf, but i have to increase my bone/wood bolt production drasticaly.

Disarming the gobbos in their cage didnt work for me. I marked their cages for dump, than manualy unselected the  cage for dump, but they kept their weapons somehow.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 11:49:23 am »

I might suggest carving out an arena and pitting the demigod against SMBs and MBs. If anything, maybe you'll luck out and your engravers will carve engrave about how awesome he was in life (and death).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 11:51:45 am »

Marking the cage for dumping doesn't work, as that order only affect the cage itself. You have to use d-b-c followed by d-b-d, followed by unmarking the cage itself for dumping. That should dump everything in the area (except, fortunately, the living critters inside the cage).

pasanax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »

I might suggest carving out an arena and pitting the demigod against SMBs and MBs. If anything, maybe you'll luck out and your engravers will carve engrave about how awesome he was in life (and death).

SMBs and MBs? Whats that?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:59 pm »

Use better bolts to break his shield. It is just copper - so if you use iron or steel bolts, it should turn into xCopper Shieldx and eventually "The XXCopper ShieldXX breaks!"
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:54:21 pm »

This is why you strip goblin prisoners before turning them into a training dummy.
On the other hand, he does make a great training target if you can find a way to contain him better so dwarves don't spook.
Your marksdwarves must have amazing skills by now from a year of live target practice.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »

SMBs and MBs? Whats that?
At a guess, (Semi) MegaBeasts. Not a standard abbreviation, though.