Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i keep on getting messages on a cavern collapsing that i havent even discovered  (Read 613 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Likely the map generator screwed up your embark site, resulting in an underground water source or sea, draining straight into the magma sea (generator screwup made a hole between the two), turning into obsidian and then the obsidian is collapsing.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile

That bug with mud never falling and remaining in mid-air, then constantly spawning saplings that caved in when they grew into trees, is it still around? If so, it might be that.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Doesn't fire cause trees to collapse eventually? Could be a flaming FB blowin up some shroom trees
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it started on day 1, I would guess that Orkel is right.  If it started later, I my guess would be that Dunamisdeos is right.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's probably a bugged map. If you're using DFHack you can use "reveal all" to show the map (excluding the extra special parts). Use the DFHack command "die" afterwards, as you probably want to unpause DF to see what happens.

The bug with saplings maturing into falling trees is still around, at least the version where you cause them to be unsupported. I haven't encountered any spontaneous version. Fire can cause cave-ins when trees collapse as well. It's unlikely to be the case here, but I've had a map where a bugged magma pool spread magma over the edge to periodically set the vegetation on fire (the top of the pool was a couple of Z levels above the lips of the pool).