Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3 seasons into fortress and i haven't got any migrants.  (Read 638 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
3 seasons into fortress and i haven't got any migrants.
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »

Help?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: 3 seasons into fortress and i haven't got any migrants.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:20:21 pm »

A bit more detail would be appreciated.

1: Did you get the first two waves of migrants? If so, then your civ is probably dead. The starting seven and the first two migrant waves are made up out of whole cloth and don't have to worry about coming from actual populations, but the rest have to come from your parent civilization.
2: Are you playing unmodded dwarf fortress? Mods can do strange things, especially when paired with DFhack.
3: Where did you embark? Someplace very isolated like on a volcano island or on top of a huge mountain chain might pose problems for would-be migrants, although I can't actually remember if immigrants have to follow the normal rules for moving armies or not.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:11 am »

As far as I understand, the migrants and dwarven caravans don't follow the normal access rules (you certainly can embark on a different land mass and still get migrants and caravans).

Dead civs don't get any dwarven caravans. Also, immediately after embark, the civ screen sub section for civs is completely blank, while it otherwise contains your own civ. The dead civ gets entered into this screen when you get in contact with another civ.

If you've set a pop cap, that can block migrants. Also, migrants have more sense than visitors, and won't show up during sieges, so if you're under siege at the time they should enter the map, whey won't appear during that season. Excessive dwarven death and misery can dissuade migrants, but the third wave is really too early for that.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:55:51 am »

There is a possibility that your migrants are stuck outside of your map due to a bug. It usually affects the caravans though, and as far as I know there is no workaround for it without using DFhack scripts.

There are two ways to check for this:
1) Your dwarves will occasionally go to the edge of the map to fetch some item.
2) On your stock list there will be items (usually forbidden/owned that when you try to zoom at their location, the camera would move to an empty tile near one of the edges.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.