Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark in Autumn?  (Read 1469 times)

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark in Autumn?
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:05:08 am »

After a long pause from DF, I recently got hooked again. I lost a first Fortress to a Wererhino-Infection (and goblins. And a second Wererhino attacking and infecting the fortress yet again). So now I'm on my second embark on this world, which is more in the mountains (actually two biomes: one mountains, one swamp). I was quite confused how fast it got autumn, I haven't even had time to start some workshops. In fact, I only saw it was autumn because the caravan arrived, surprising my 7 dwarves.

I don't know if this happend due to my relative inattention (I let the game running in the background for a while, but no more than 15 minutes). The first announcement I can see when pressing a is "Autmn has come". After setting up workshops in a hurry to get at least some more supplies (wood shields seem to be quite a good trading item for really unprepared fortresses), the first wave of migrants arrived, just after the "traders will leave soon"-message.
Did I embark in autumn? Did I miss spring and summer while the game was running in the background (my gut feeling says no)? Has this something to do with being far away from my home civ?

I searched the forum for similar experiences, but I didn't find anything.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Embark in Autumn?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:08:30 am »

Your new fortress always starts a week after your last fortress (or adventurer, depends). Remember the calendar before you embark? That's the date you start on.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:15:37 am »

Oh, okay! I was under the impression the embark would always be in spring (and the in-game text just before the game starts reinforces this).
Thanks, "mystery" solved.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:45:03 am »

It used to always start in spring. Changed a few versions ago.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:58:44 am »

And the time it takes to reach an embark is actually 14 days.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:22:47 pm »

Someone clearly didn't have his werebeast asylum ready in time ;) or is that not how infections are handled?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:30:20 pm »

Someone clearly didn't have his werebeast asylum ready in time ;) or is that not how infections are handled?

I usually build Vaults of Evil, in which any and all megabeasts or cursed individuals are kept until the end of time.

At present I have the former general of my own civ, now a necromancer, locked behind a 7-step security process and bound to an adamantite chain. There are also two magma moats and carvings/statues warning off potential unwitting visitors.

Anyway Autumn embarks sound cool.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »

Nothing was ready in time. And after the second were-rhino attacked, I thought "okay f*** it, I'm just gonna watch how long this lasts"
It lasted quite long. You'd be surprised how many elf dancers seem to think it's a good idea to live in a literal slaughterhouse.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:36:27 am »

Elves are cannibals, so dead elves will attract more elves  :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479