Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VR Support  (Read 1229 times)

Randall172

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
VR Support
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »

Will dwarf fortress get VR support?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: VR Support
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:43 pm »

Will dwarf fortress get VR support?
The basics are there with various 3d visualisers. Just do it twice, quickly.

The big thing is going from default CodePage/other-sprite graphics to something more volumetric. Raster, voxel or vector-based, it's all just a layer on top of the map layer. But more complex once you break out of the strict grid system.

I mocked up a thing once with default tileset characters retooled into a 3d walkthrough in POV-Ray. The big effort was tweaking the various transformations to look 'right' (I was particularly happy with my campfires and my way of depicting cage traps), but then the work was done and if I found it again I could do it again for a new scene/sequence.

I was going to see if I could then feed it with DFHacked data, semi-live in a kind of deferred playback rather than hand-orchestrated, but I never quite got that far.

Anyway, you've got to deal with the 'logic' that one cavy cannot stand in a tile if there's another standing there, yet 50 collossi could lay down in the same space (while a 51st stands). It makes for a funny environment. As does quantum stockpiling (deliberate or incidental).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:58:48 pm by Starver »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: VR Support
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:02 am »

I'm trying to decide whether asking a question in the suggestions forum is comparable to or the opposite of making a suggestion in the future of the fortress thread.

Anyway...VR? Sure. Everything is part of the master plan, depending on how much you are willing to read into obsolete dev notes.