Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the state of: the game of world gen  (Read 1009 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
the state of: the game of world gen
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »

What is the status quo of vanilla world gen?  we all know that perimeters are customizable, but what about the development of civs, decline of megas, the freq and tenacity of war?

do elves have magic/defenses?  do gobos infiltrate humie civs as lords with startling frequency?
do wars come to your fort like ye olde days?  do skirmishers come?  can excite happen?

what about zeds?  they still murderhobos?  do necroes get nommed on with such frequency?  are there new secrets to learn?

how has the introduction of taverns, libraries, and such changed worldgen?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the state of: the game of world gen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:47:28 pm »

Elves don't have magic. No-one does yet.
Nobody infiltrates anyone as nobles. There are spies though. Goblins who live in human civs (and humans in goblin civs, etc) can become nobles as normal. There's no racial prejudice (yet).
Fortresses are attacked by nearby people who don't like you. You can now provoke people into not liking you more.
Zeds live in towers. Are more fragile than they used to be.
Don't know what 'nommed on' means.
No new secrets (should be some in the next arc).
Adding taverns, libraries and temples means that people become tavern keepers, librarians and werebeasts more often.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:40:41 am »

If the "old days" means on the spot sieges the answer is no. Since world activation invading armies have to actually move to the fortress, and there are still a number of bugs with them (some of which Toady is looking at currently). Thus, if you want sieges you need to place your fortress with care: the closest of your civ's sites to the enemy(ies), no closer sites from other civs your target is at war with, and the closest enemy civ site having a decent number of warm bodies to send at you (they don't know how to either draw troops from other sites, nor how to move the siege staging site yet).

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:28:38 pm »

Nommed on means eaten. I don't know much about the questions that hasn't already been said here since I don't do much with Legends and World Gen itself. I just figured I'd fill in that one little fact that could possibly get an answer to the question. Is the zombie/necromancer loyalty thing where zombies of different necromancers attack the ones that didn't raise them. I never saw a fix listed in the devlogs, so necromancers probably still get killed by other necromancers' zombies if they live in colonies.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:25:56 am »

absolutely loyalty has something to do with it.  Factional loyalty was wonky when I left.

dwarves would build up unhappy thoughts over time and never lose them, as well, eventually going batty unless they went into a successful mood.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:12 am »

Currently you have to work hard to break dorfs. They've been tweaked a bit too much in the other direction. Toady is aware of that, so it's a matter of priorities when they go through a new rebalancing.