Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I cannot make pig Iron or steel the option is not there.  (Read 1367 times)

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I cannot make pig Iron or steel the option is not there.
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:50 am »

looking on either my smelters or my manager there is no option for pig Iron or steel bar, I can stud with pig iron or make steel items, but I can't smelt steel bars nor pig iron bars, I have the ingredients so I don't understand what is going on, they are not even red like the other alloys I can't make, they are just not there.

Im playing on the most recent LazyNewbPack and I have Grim's History and Realism Mods but I only Installed the Items not the mattalurgy bit.

Can anyone help?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot make pig Iron or steel the option is not there.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:25:32 am »

Most likely this is caused by the mods, and a guess is that they are not updated to match the latest version of DF. You're probably better off asking in the threads for the mods you use, though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:02:59 am »

Or you can post what your steel, iron and pig iron reactions are. Maybe they got messed up?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:48:23 am »

You have flux stone?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:02 am »

I play only vanilla DF. I don't know if those modifications do change anything. However in my smelter option for steel smelting is not opening until I have free and accessible by smelter iron and charcoal and marble (any flax stone really). I guess you use those to turn iron into pig iron and then some more of those to turn pig iron into steel.

Tbh your issues seem like you are using workshop and stockpile incomplete linking. Try building new smelter, don't link it, and then try using it.

If it still doesn't work check your burrow, as maybe workshop are constricted by materials available only in workshop's burrow.

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:03:54 am »

Most likely this is caused by the mods, and a guess is that they are not updated to match the latest version of DF. You're probably better off asking in the threads for the mods you use, though.
The one I download said it was updated to the most recent version of Dwarf Fortress.
Or you can post what your steel, iron and pig iron reactions are. Maybe they got messed up?
Spoiler: Reaction Smelter (click to show/hide)
It's this the one, or is there another file I should be showing?
You have flux stone?
Yes, I have marble, limestone, coke, charcoal, iron, magma smelters, and the only burrow I have is one to make dwarves hide inside, it does not cover the workshop area, however its not active.

I play only vanilla DF. I don't know if those modifications do change anything. However in my smelter option for steel smelting is not opening until I have free and accessible by smelter iron and charcoal and marble (any flax stone really). I guess you use those to turn iron into pig iron and then some more of those to turn pig iron into steel.

Tbh your issues seem like you are using workshop and stockpile incomplete linking. Try building new smelter, don't link it, and then try using it.

If it still doesn't work check your burrow, as maybe workshop are constricted by materials available only in workshop's burrow.
I don't see either, its just items, there is no reaction file (as far as I know) in that bit of the mod, like a said above, I have all the needed ingredients, an inactive burrow, and I never touched workshop linking, but I have no option to make Pig Iron, its not red like brass, it's not there in either the manager or the smelters, I also tried building another smelter (a conventional one) it did not have the option either.

I will try to make a clean install, see if it works, then add the mod see if it is the problem, but I really don't see how it could be, also I noticed that the is an inorganic_metal file could it be here? if anyone with knowledge of the code could take a look at it, I would appreciate it (there is more on the file, I just did not copy those because they did not seem relevant)
Spoiler: inorganic_metal (click to show/hide)

Edit: I did the install and confirmed the problem is the mod, I don't see how it could be, but thank you everyone for the help, I will make a post about it on the mod's page.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:47:24 am by DemAvalon »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »

I'm glad we got this resolved!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.