Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Optimized Embark Builds  (Read 10443 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optimized Embark Builds
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 08:22:48 am »

To be fair, you can embark just about any way and survive easily. 

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 01:37:20 pm »

I have a bad habit of rerolling until I get a dwarf with either an exotic weapon preference (for guaranteed cool artifacts down the road) or a preference for cool or edgy things, especially fantasy animals that haven't been added to the game. These dwarves usually become engravers, but I often give them skills which will eventually make for them to be scholars at some point. I suppose in theory, the idea is you'll have a fortress engraved with griffons, dragons, and dragons (yes, I know that dragons and demons exist, but you get the idea), and eventually books written about these things, too.

Granted, I don't always have a lot of luck with the library thing, but I usually get cool engravings. I try to keep the rest of my dwarves fairly basic, but I do usually match professions with cool (potential) artifacts when I can.

I don't have a lot to contribute with regards to personality traits and attributes, but I did some science a while back that I may as well link here. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Personality_trait

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 01:46:42 pm »

It's a shame there isn't more personality science to be honest. ESPECIALLY traits that kill skill gain (awful game design if it's not communicated to the player somehow).

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »

The thing I love about this game is that there's no right or wrong way to play, so long as you're having fun.

I just discovered the Krugsmash youtube videos, and am feeling the same sort of weird guilt for not treating DF as a source of possible drawing subjects. ~shrug~ It's easy to feel like you're doing things wrong, but it rather misses the point of the game.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 03:03:29 pm »

The thing I love about this game is that there's no right or wrong way to play, so long as you're having fun.

I just discovered the Krugsmash youtube videos, and am feeling the same sort of weird guilt for not treating DF as a source of possible drawing subjects. ~shrug~ It's easy to feel like you're doing things wrong, but it rather misses the point of the game.

Agreed. Sure, there's more optimal ways to do certain things than others, but all in all there is no real right way other than whatever you'd enjoy the most. Not even "so long as it works", because anyone can make anything work after enough tries and experience.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 03:04:01 pm »

I also like to make my fort's symbol something with a cool creature, especially if it's a particularly bamf creature I've scouted in legends, or a really cool deity. I've designed a few images post-embark, but they don't pop up as often and don't carry quite as much prestige as the main fort symbol.

I also try to have decorators have cool preferences, but it's much less of a priority than for my engravers. Again, this can lead to cool artifacts. I am especially fond of gem-setters making artifact chains, which are absurd but also very cool.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:43 am »

PTW. The thread is very interesting, and I'll probably try out maximizing skills.

Also, Colonel Sanders Lite, how can you get dwarves with 10 levels in one skill at the embark? Do you use that DFHack command which removes "5 skill level max and no further" vanilla rule?

Sorry, I missed this.

Those are the numbers that show in the embark screen after putting the points in, not the number of points to put in.  In the embark screen, the starting number is 5.  Putting 5 points in a skill makes it show a 10.

Does that answer your question sufficiently?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:08 pm »

PTW. The thread is very interesting, and I'll probably try out maximizing skills.

Also, Colonel Sanders Lite, how can you get dwarves with 10 levels in one skill at the embark? Do you use that DFHack command which removes "5 skill level max and no further" vanilla rule?

Sorry, I missed this.

Those are the numbers that show cost of the increasing the skill further in the embark screen. In the embark screen, the cost of upgrade to Novice is 5.  Putting 5 level (or 35 embark points) into the skill make it show 10.

Does that answer your question sufficiently?

I corrected your post somewhat. The ten it shows in the embark screen is a cost of increasing the skill further in the embark points. Basically, the cost of the skill increase increases by one embark point for every one level you put into a skill. If you unlock skill level limit via DFHack, you'll have to pay 10 embark points if you want the Talented level in one skill.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 2 [3]