Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archean Critters dev thread  (Read 928 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Archean Critters dev thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:39:14 am »

Discord: https://discord.gg/zHydgpf

It is now the Archean Eon, a time of terrible upheaval and change. The air is heavy, dominated by carbon dioxide and laden with sulfur. Earth is very active and trembles with the heat of its youth, bursting with gifts of magma. Bacteria rule the world, not eukaryotic upstarts, not roaches, and certainly not dinosaurs. Certain bacteria, however, seem to have evolved a strange malevolence. Split into two lineages differentiated by their pigments and metabolic tendencies, they seem to be working to cause or prevent something...

FC what do?

The tool I'm working on to track populations and genes and such isn't quite finished yet, so we'll be working out the gameplay/realism settings first. The basic idea is that there will be a Purple Lineage and a Green Lineage with head starts for developing fairly different metabolisms and such competing for dominion over the World Pool. I've got a number of ideas on how to work things out, but I'm not quite sure what the average player would prefer. Feel free to suggest more options/settings.

Definitions for mechanics stuff that pops up
Divergence: Founding one's own Lineage
Lineage: Team/faction
Species: A sufficiently distinct member of a Lineage if we go with option 2->{C,D}
Strain: Part of a species, the smallest unit of bacteria a player controls if we go with options 2->{A,B,C}

1. Team organization
(A) Player vs. GM (Not recommended): Run as an SG, with players making decisions for their team and reacting to NPC lineage events
(B) Flat: Full-on democracy. No structure beyond teams and probably very little chance for Divergence.
(C) Hierarchical: Each Lineage has a founder/speaker/leader providing general directions on what the Strains should accomplish. The players in the Lineage have the freedom to decide how their Strains achieve the goal.
(D) Hierarchical with a ring of experts: KJP delegates much of the work of determining plausibility to a circle of knowledgeable folk from both Lineages, mostly only intervening to break ties. More time to finish that thesis!

2. Divergence
(A) Impossible: Once a Purple, always a Purple
(B) Once in a game: Unlikely enough that a Divergence event only happens once or maybe twice in a game
(C) Rare: Having a sufficiently different chemistry/biology/niche is sufficient to Diverge, and this should happen a few times in a game
(D) Fanatic Xenophiles: Every player controls a different Species. This is done by adding a node to the Lineage's tree and describing distinguishing characteristics

3. Hardness
(A) Diamond (Not recommended): Go do research at NCBI or KJP doesn't process your actions :P
(B) Quartz: KJP will weight gameplay over perfect realism but require that targeted genes be capable of adopting so and so new function of the day
(C) Fluorite: KJP and brave volunteers will take the time to tag lists of operons for this game so you can say "make water and air into wine"
(D) Talc: Anything goes/Lego genetics. Even psionics and fire-breathing are possible. Actually, let's not run this one

4. Scope/world size
(A) Pond: A nice volcanic hot spring with all the nutrients a bacterium would need. Increased focus on direct competition
(B) Lake: A nice volcanic lake with more space and all the nutrients a bacterium would need. Focus may be hard to balance
(C) Ocean: From the surface to the black smokers on the floor, with sparser nutrients. Increased focus on global crises
(D) Pocket ocean: From the surface to the black smokers on the floor, only lake-sized! Focus may be easier to balance well, but this isn't really realistic

5. (Bio)chemistry granularity
(A) Bland: CHNOPS sources, bulk minerals, trace minerals, light and air, this mineral makes hydrogen when it touches water, etc.
(B) Balanced leaning more toward bland
(C) Balanced
(D) Balanced leaning more toward beautiful
(E) Beautiful: Chiral organics, detailed (to the best of KJP's ability/time) antibiotic simulation, bioavailability of nutrients, etc.

6. NPC microbes (viruses included)
(A) None
(B) Few
(C) Some
(D) Lots

7. Population/genetics granularity (KJP may override for computational reasons to keep his laptop from melting)
(A) Track genes for individuals
(B) Track the spread of genes in populations
(C) Just track Strain populations and use percentile dice to do mutation progress checks

8. Genetics granularity (connected to 3)
(A) Molecule: Can control individual proteins/do low-level genome stuff; KJP does basic checks to make sure a mutation is achievable in evolutionary time instead of cosmological time
(B) Gene: Can control individual genes and the proteins in them/do stuff with promoters. KJP does basic checks to make sure the gene has something to do with the effect (and the mutation can be done in reasonable time)
(C) Operon: Can control entire operons/do stuff with entire chunks of pathways. KJP does a basic check to make sure the operon has something to do with the effect (and the mutation can be done in reasonable time) (May need volunteers to help tag operons)
(D) Pathway: Can give a blurb about what pathway changes and how. KJP decides if it sounds plausible in reasonable time or not

9. Geology/petrology granularity
(A) KJP needs to (re?)learn space groups and such...
(B) Dwarf Fortress
(C) Who cares? They're all just rocks

10. I would rather be...
(A) A reactionary Luddite
(B) A terrorist with chemical weapons
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:38:38 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Archaean Critters dev thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:40:28 am »

ATGAGAGAGAGCGAACGTGTTGAGGACTGA

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 04:41:30 am »

ATGCGTGAGTCCGAAAGGGTAGAGGATTAA

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:06 am »

ATGCGCGAGAGCGAAAGGGTCGAGGATTGA

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:19 am »

My votes:
1) C; I'd be happy to help with the biology too, but dividing that up by team is probably not ideal unless you want to deal with the inevitability that the two teams have different opinions about plausibility
2) C
3) A, A, A, please A, or at least B, I want some gritty realism. Bonus points: invent your own advanced quantum physical theory for the game universe.
4) B sounds best. You say "focus may be hard to balance" but I hear "niches of varying size/glob...uh, -ality to suit different playstyles"
5) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE(this continues for forty minutes)
6) B
7) A to B, don't go totally overboard
8) B to C
9) A
10) can't I be a reactionary terrorist with technologically primitive chemical weaponsB I guess
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:26:03 am by Maximum Spin »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:39:11 am »

C.
C.
C.
C.
C.
C.
B.
C.
B.
A.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:54 am »

1)C
2)C I would like to say D but if we go with the "hard science" route i'm afraid that many players will not have the necessary knowledge to understand what they can and cannot do with their species.
3)B
4)C
5)B. I don't like Biochemistry.
6)C
7)B
8)D
9)B
10)B

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »

1-8) C
9) B
10) a
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:05 pm »

OH NO! A POP QUIZ!

1. C

2. D

3. B or C

4. D or C

5. C or E

6. B

7. B

8. C or B

9. Not sure what you have in mind for this, so I'll pick B for balanced :P

10. I would rather be Purple

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 12:19:51 pm »

C
C
B
B
E
D
B
B
B
A

I'm always hyped for KJP's new game, especially after my disaster of a genetics exam today.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:56 pm »

I wasted too much time on this!, here's clarity for GM:

Quote from: Dem Votes
Choice 1:
A:
B:
C: (7) MaxSpin, CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC
D
Choice 2:
A
B: (1) Leonardo
C: (5) MaxSpin, CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Lord_lemonpie, SC
D: (1) Roboson
Choice 3:
A (1) MaximumSpin
B (3) Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, MaximumSpin
C: (5) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC
Choice 4
A
B (2) MaximumSpin, Lord_lemonpie
C: (4) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC
Choice 5
A
C: (4) CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC
D
E (3) MaximumSpin, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie
Choice 6
A
B (2) MaximumSpin, Roboson
C: (4) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, SC
D: (1) Lord_lemonpie
Choice 7
A (1) Maximum Spin
B: (5) MaximumSpin, CrazyAbe, Leonardo, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC
C: (1) DarkWarlock
Choice 8
A:
C: (6) MaximumSpin, CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC
D: (1) Leonardo
Choice 9
A (1) MaximumSpin
B: (6) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC
C:
Choice 10
A: CrazyAbe, Lord_lemonpie, Darkwarlock, Roboson
B MaximumSpin, Leonardo, SC

1-6 C; B, C, B, B
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:54:18 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:16 pm »

1. Team organization: Definitely hierarchical with founders/speakers/leaders to direct their Lineages
(A) Player vs. GM (Not recommended): Run as an SG, with players making decisions for their team and reacting to NPC lineage events
(B) Flat: Full-on democracy. No structure beyond teams and probably very little chance for Divergence.
(C) Hierarchical: Each Lineage has a founder/speaker/leader providing general directions on what the Strains should accomplish. The players in the Lineage have the freedom to decide how their Strains achieve the goal.
(D) Hierarchical with a ring of experts: KJP delegates much of the work of determining plausibility to a circle of knowledgeable folk from both Lineages, mostly only intervening to break ties. More time to finish that thesis!

2. Divergence: This is self-explanatory enough, I think, but there's freedom to move away to a different niche and potentially outright found a new Lineage (or at least speciate)
(B) Once in a game: Unlikely enough that a Divergence event only happens once or maybe twice in a game
(C) Rare: Having a sufficiently different chemistry/biology/niche is sufficient to Diverge, and this should happen a few times in a game
(D) Fanatic Xenophiles: Every player controls a different Species. This is done by adding a node to the Lineage's tree and describing distinguishing characteristics

3. Hardness: Somewhere between B and C. Probably going to emphasize C since that was more popular. I'm sure B and C do overlap somewhat from the perspectives of the players anyway
(A) Diamond (Not recommended): Go do research at NCBI or KJP doesn't process your actions :P
(B) Quartz: KJP will weight gameplay over perfect realism but require that targeted genes be capable of adopting so and so new function of the day
(C) Fluorite: KJP and brave volunteers will take the time to tag lists of operons for this game so you can say "make water and air into wine"
(D) Talc: Anything goes/Lego genetics. Even psionics and fire-breathing are possible. Actually, let's not run this one

4. Scope/world size: Ocean
(A) Pond: A nice volcanic hot spring with all the nutrients a bacterium would need. Increased focus on direct competition
(B) Lake: A nice volcanic lake with more space and all the nutrients a bacterium would need. Focus may be hard to balance
(C) Ocean: From the surface to the black smokers on the floor, with sparser nutrients. Increased focus on global crises
(D) Pocket ocean: From the surface to the black smokers on the floor, only lake-sized! Focus may be easier to balance well, but this isn't really realistic

5. (Bio)chemistry granularity: Some antibiotic simulation, some modeling of limited nutrients, stuff like that
(A) Bland: CHNOPS sources, bulk minerals, trace minerals, light and air, this mineral makes hydrogen when it touches water, etc.
(C) Balanced
(E) Beautiful: Chiral organics, detailed (to the best of KJP's ability/time) antibiotic simulation, bioavailability of nutrients, etc.

6. NPC microbes (viruses included): Some will come up and hopefully make the world feel more alive and dangerous
(A) None
(B) Few
(C) Some
(D) Lots

7. Population/genetics granularity (KJP may override for computational reasons to keep his laptop from melting): KJP doesn't have to compute genes for individuals! Yay!
(C) Just track Strain populations and use percentile dice to do mutation progress checks

8. Genetics granularity (connected to 3): For the most part, we'll focus on whether operons can plausibly be updated to do whatever it is
(A) Molecule: Can control individual proteins/do low-level genome stuff; KJP does basic checks to make sure a mutation is achievable in evolutionary time instead of cosmological time
(B) Gene: Can control individual genes and the proteins in them/do stuff with promoters. KJP does basic checks to make sure the gene has something to do with the effect (and the mutation can be done in reasonable time)
(C) Operon: Can control entire operons/do stuff with entire chunks of pathways. KJP does a basic check to make sure the operon has something to do with the effect (and the mutation can be done in reasonable time) (May need volunteers to help tag operons)
(D) Pathway: Can give a blurb about what pathway changes and how. KJP decides if it sounds plausible in reasonable time or not

9. Geology/petrology granularity: Know your intrusives and extrusives and why volcanoes nomnom certain ore-bearing rocks
(B) Dwarf Fortress

10. I would rather be... Surprisingly balanced turnout! I was afraid I'd have to seriously rebalance Lineage members, but the interest's nicely close to 50-50
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:15:57 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »

Last minute voting: CCBCDDBCB GREEN

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:15 pm »

Votes retallied. Nothing seems to have really changed aside from (10) becoming exactly 50-50, although it's still early. I'll keep working on the engine I'm using to run this game and bump when it's ready (and not too buggy and stuff).

Since the Discord doesn't seem to be terribly popular, I guess I'll just make separate threads for the Greens and Purples later unless there's enough demand for them now.

I wasted too much time on this!, here's clarity for GM:

Quote from: Dem Votes
Choice 1:
A:
B:
C: (9) MaxSpin, CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC, Grek, Happerry
D
Choice 2:
A
C: (7) MaxSpin, CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Lord_lemonpie, SC, Grek, Happerry
Choice 3:
A (1) MaximumSpin
B (4) Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, MaximumSpin, Grek, Happerry
C: (5) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC, Happerry
Choice 4
A
B (2) MaximumSpin, Lord_lemonpie
C: (6) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC, Grek, Happerry
Choice 5
A
C: (5) CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Roboson, SC, Happerry
D: (1) Grek
E (3) MaximumSpin, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie
Choice 6
A
B (3) MaximumSpin, Roboson, Happerry
C: (4) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, SC
D: (2) Lord_lemonpie, Grek
Choice 7
A (1) Maximum Spin
B: (7) MaximumSpin, CrazyAbe, Leonardo, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC, Grek, Happerry
C: (1) DarkWarlock
Choice 8
A:
C: (7) MaximumSpin, CrazyAbe, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC, Grek
D: (2) Leonardo, Happerry
Choice 9
A (1) MaximumSpin
B: (8.) CrazyAbe, Leonardo, DarkWarlock, Roboson, Lord_lemonpie, SC, Grek, Happerry
C:
Choice 10
A: CrazyAbe, Lord_lemonpie, Darkwarlock, Roboson, Happerry
B: MaximumSpin, Leonardo, SC, Grek

1-6 C; B, C, B, B

1. Team organization: Definitely hierarchical with founders/speakers/leaders to direct their Lineages

2. Divergence: This is self-explanatory enough, I think, but there's freedom to move away to a different niche and potentially outright found a new Lineage (or at least speciate)

3. Hardness: Somewhere between B and C. Probably going to emphasize C since that was marginally more popular. I'm sure B and C do overlap somewhat from the perspectives of the players anyway

4. Scope/world size: Ocean

5. (Bio)chemistry granularity: Some antibiotic simulation, some modeling of limited nutrients, stuff like that
(C) Balanced

6. NPC microbes (viruses included): Some will come up and hopefully make the world feel more alive and dangerous
(A) None
(B) Few
(C) Some
(D) Lots

7. Population/genetics granularity (KJP may override for computational reasons to keep his laptop from melting): KJP doesn't have to compute genes for individuals! Yay!

8. Genetics granularity (connected to 3): For the most part, we'll focus on whether operons can plausibly be updated to do whatever it is

9. Geology/petrology granularity: Know your intrusives and extrusives and why volcanoes nomnom certain ore-bearing rocks
(B) Dwarf Fortress

10. I would rather be... Surprisingly balanced turnout! I was afraid I'd have to seriously rebalance Lineage members, but the interest's nicely 50-50 at this early stage!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:06:33 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RKN Critters dev thread
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:35 pm »

1, C
2, C
3, Um, the midpoint between B and C seems fine to me.
4, C
5, C
6, B
7, B
8, D
9, B
10, A (Purple is best color.)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.