Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to allow volcanoes to generate in low elevations?  (Read 1300 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to allow volcanoes to generate in low elevations?
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:53:19 pm »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a way to allow volcanoes to generate in low elevations? I've been making several volcano-heavy worlds, but I never get my desired embark surroundings because almost all the volcanoes spawn in the mountains, which generally don't have any trees, vegetation or soil. Is there a worldgen parameter I could change so that volcanoes can spawn at all elevations? Thanks.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to allow volcanoes to generate in low elevations?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »

You can't as far as I can tell.  There may be a way to get magma-pipes to protrude at lower elevations (ive seen maps that indicate this), but the parameters that are available for immediate user manipulation are for volcanos which as far as I can tell, require high elevation. 

Please see my "super seeds now with more volcanoes" thread in the next page of this forum for more explicit instructions (and seeds) for generating volcanoes in close proximity to useable embark sites (with emphasis on forming iron/coal deposits). 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:55:29 pm »

I haven't explored it, but the criterion for volcano generation should be 100% volcanism, so a PSV world where all the 100% volcanism spots are at desired locations (and elevations) ought to work. That has the bonus of allowing you to get your desired biomes as well.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:40 am »

Not really--- If you really spam number of volcanoes, while reducing world volcanism, there will *STILL* be volcanoes, and they will just pop out of igneous intrusions in otherwise sedimentary layers. :P You get flatter terrain if you set min peaks to 1, and also poke at the X-Y elevation variance. (you *WILL* get a lot of rejection spam though.)

Here, I will attempt generating such a world real quick.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:11:15 am »

Ok, here is a parameter set that generates a world with at least one igneous intrusion volcano "spire" on otherwise sedimentary surroundings.

Basically, I poked at the elevation X-Y variance to make the world flatter, did the erosion cycle thing, maxxed out the subregions, poked at volcanism X-Y variance, put peak number at 1, and volcanoes at 200.

I will update with some images of sites that might interest you in a bit. I will keep adding them to the spoiler below until I am satisfied I have made the point. :P

Spoiler: Embark candidates (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:52:28 am by wierd »

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:19 am »

By the way OP, if you use the elevation tab when choosing your embark, you can avoid the large shield volcanos which will dominate soil layers for the entire embark with worthless igneous rocks, by choosing volcanos with very flat surroundings and a small height profile often only one pixel in the overview.  That guarantees you the more useful type.