Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Martial Trances should be the combat equivalent of Strange Moods  (Read 1160 times)

Lesurous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The successful completion of a strange mood provides the fortress a legendary craftsman and an artifact, whereas a legendary martial feat simply nets a dwarf more time to live. If a dwarf single handedly slays a mighty beast, a scourge that has slain many before it, than they should recieve some sort of reward. An instant jump to legendary might be a bit much, so a permanent xp bonus to combat feats (to represent their legendary potential) would be nice.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Trances should be the combat equivalent of Strange Moods
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 06:43:23 pm »

I don't know... is not the Martial Trance's reward the increase in combat skill during the fight itself? It allows the Dwarf to dodge a lot more, & (from what Ive seen) happens almost every fight. It's a distinctive racial perk that Dwarrows have defined as something that occurs every time they face multiple enemies at once.

So, I would say, it's not quite the legendary martial feat you make it out to be, as much as it is a soldier "getting into the zone", would you not agree?

But the idea of a skill-gain in regards to the "slaying of an epic creature" is something I'd've thought would be mutually exclusive. To that, I'd say "idk". Just remember, every time your warriors kill a forgotten beast made of ash, water, vomit, etc., this boost would probably trigger - despite the fights literally going like this:

~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Lesurous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:36 am »

I don't know... is not the Martial Trance's reward the increase in combat skill during the fight itself? It allows the Dwarf to dodge a lot more, & (from what Ive seen) happens almost every fight. It's a distinctive racial perk that Dwarrows have defined as something that occurs every time they face multiple enemies at once.

So, I would say, it's not quite the legendary martial feat you make it out to be, as much as it is a soldier "getting into the zone", would you not agree?

But the idea of a skill-gain in regards to the "slaying of an epic creature" is something I'd've thought would be mutually exclusive. To that, I'd say "idk". Just remember, every time your warriors kill a forgotten beast made of ash, water, vomit, etc., this boost would probably trigger - despite the fights literally going like this:

I mean, martial trances are what come to mind of something already implemented in the game that's comparable to a strange mood, in which a dwarf behaves differently (in this case, becoming a stronger combatant). True, killing a "epic monster" who could be slain by a kitten isn't particularly awe-inspiring, in which case the boost could be dependent on the length and severity of the fight. As in, the more visceral the combat (not necessarily a fight they get injured, but a fight that isn't essentially one sided). Pretty much, a hard won battle leads to a great reward. Oh, as for what I imagine martial trances as being, what comes to mind is the dwarf's mental state focusing completely on the fight (kinda like how a strange mood dwarf focuses entirely on their artifact). Not the same thing as a strange mood, but a combat focused mindset should benefit a dwarf's martial abilities, even if it's experienced for a short while.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:47:02 am »

IIRC the [DIFFICULTY] token that some creatures, including megas use, already does that to an extent, atleast in adventure mode. You get more experience from fighting with a creature that has that token, probably gets higher with a higher difficulty number.