Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Deity Historical Event  (Read 1755 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Dwarf Deity Historical Event
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:39:36 pm »

In my previous fortress, some gothdwarfs came in, worshipping human deities of the night and moon that had cursed a variety of people with lycanthropy. I commented somewhere in the forum that this was the first time I'd ever seen a deity listed with an event in its description.

Today, I started a new world/fortress and one of the dwarf gods has a historical note!

Teshkad the Earth of Ambers is a deity of The Silver of Tusks. Teshkad most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with trade, wealth and jewels.

In a time before time, Teshkad aided the blind demon Timad Auburntaupe the Maroon Mastery in becoming a permanent part of the living world after pondering the ineffable subtleties of jewels. The ritual took place in Bulwarkfair using Mineorange.

First off, that's a rather garish description. Amber, auburn, taupe, maroon, orange....jewels....

Actual question: any idea what this actually means? I know the human deities curse temple defilers with lycanthropy, which triggers their events. I'm planning on making a ton of statues related to Teshkad, Timad, Bulwarkfair and Mineorange to decorate a custom temple and hopefully learn more that way.

Any other info on how gods interact with the history would be nifty to know, too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:41:13 pm by Romeofalling »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Deity Historical Event
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:56:47 pm »

I know exactly what it means, but it's a major spoiler (though I suppose only if you play Adventure Mode). Read at your peril:

Spoiler: Really Major Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:31:12 pm »

I know exactly what it means, but it's a major spoiler (though I suppose only if you play Adventure Mode). Read at your peril:...

Yeah, I can't get into adventure mode, with the interface as clunky as it is, so none of that would have ever come up.

So, gods can bring demons into the world and curse people with lycanthropy. Are we aware of them doing anything else? I'd love to see them teaching dwarfs skills, bestowing blessings, etc. Until my last fortress, I had half a mind to assume that they weren't "real" in the universe, in that they didn't actually interact at all. Now that I've seen two gods touch my planes, I'm eager to see more.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:20:06 am »

I know exactly what it means, but it's a major spoiler (though I suppose only if you play Adventure Mode). Read at your peril:...

Yeah, I can't get into adventure mode, with the interface as clunky as it is, so none of that would have ever come up.

So, gods can bring demons into the world and curse people with lycanthropy. Are we aware of them doing anything else? I'd love to see them teaching dwarfs skills, bestowing blessings, etc. Until my last fortress, I had half a mind to assume that they weren't "real" in the universe, in that they didn't actually interact at all. Now that I've seen two gods touch my planes, I'm eager to see more.
They bring out clowns, curse people to prowl the night in search of blood or to assume a bestial form, and that's it. They don't interact with the world in any other manner at the moment. The reasons they bring out clowns can be pretty cool, though. Gods of destiny will bring them out "because it was inevitable," "sworn to be," or "destined to happen." Gods of life, heroism, or generally some other good-centric sphere will bring forth the clowns "so that great deeds of valor may be performed," "great heroes can rise," or some other variation on heroism.

I should warn you,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Once I got blind humanoids covered in thorns which "writhed and squirmed in the presence of a lie." The god, as you can imagine, was a god of torture and truth. Another time it was amorphous beings of fire who seemed to "flicker between this plane and the next."
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 12:28:20 am »

I should warn you,
Once I got blind humanoids covered in thorns which "writhed and squirmed in the presence of a lie." The god, as you can imagine, was a god of torture and truth. Another time it was amorphous beings of fire who seemed to "flicker between this plane and the next."
So
are randomly generated too? That's pretty cool. I haven't seen any vaults yet, how do I find one?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:34:15 am »

They bring out clowns, curse people to prowl the night in search of blood or to assume a bestial form, and that's it. They don't interact with the world in any other manner at the moment. The reasons they bring out clowns can be pretty cool, though. Gods of destiny will bring them out "because it was inevitable," "sworn to be," or "destined to happen." Gods of life, heroism, or generally some other good-centric sphere will bring forth the clowns "so that great deeds of valor may be performed," "great heroes can rise," or some other variation on heroism.
In addition to already mentioned interactions, deities also grant necromancers with secrets of life and death.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 03:28:49 pm »

I should warn you,
So
are randomly generated too? That's pretty cool. I haven't seen any vaults yet, how do I find one?
You can only find one in adventure mode, and they're unmarked on the map until discovered. You also can't really ask around for them. They're usually near a Dark Fortress or a human town, though, so just keep asking the respective ruler of the dark fortress or town about the "surrounding area" and you'll usually get the vault's location in an hour or so.

You better be pretty prepared, though. Even adventurers decked out in full candy will have a hard time against the
and possibly even the soldiers, depending on the type generated. The
the soldiers drop is inferior to candy, too, so if you've already got candy, the only real reason to enter a vault is to get the slab.

It is possible to clear a vault as a low-level adventurer though, apparently. The only time I've ever seen it done is in "Vaults?"
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 07:23:04 pm »

I should warn you,
So
You can only find one in adventure mode, and they're unmarked on the map until discovered. You also can't really ask around for them. They're usually near a Dark Fortress or a human town, though, so just keep asking the respective ruler of the dark fortress or town about the "surrounding area" and you'll usually get the vault's location in an hour or so.

You better be pretty prepared, though. Even adventurers decked out in full candy will have a hard time against the
and possibly even the soldiers, depending on the type generated. The
the soldiers drop is inferior to candy, too, so if you've already got candy, the only real reason to enter a vault is to get the slab.

It is possible to clear a vault as a low-level adventurer though, apparently. The only time I've ever seen it done is in "Vaults?"
Awesome, thanks!  :D

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:30:27 pm »

Update:

Downloaded the latest version and played for the first time since I posted this back in August.

In my new universe, the dwarven god of caves has a HUGE history -- every three or four years, someone prays to Ermuth Cavernshafts and then writes a divinely inspired book! Like, four or five books in one year, and then waits four or five years and blesses them again.

I was planning to once again focus on trying to finally figure out pump stacks and the metal industry this go, but now I have to get a paper industry and temple going!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:45 pm »

Incidentally, I was in a village asking about troubles recently (44.02 I think). They mentioned trouble brewing with the neighbors due to their godlessness. Checking out Legends revealed they were actually talking about the local vault. So, hey, I guess not a spoiler any more!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:34:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:04 am »

There are cheaty ways to find vaults by exporting the world. I once even tried to EmbarkAnywhere on one.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.