Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can you see the population of a site?  (Read 478 times)

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can you see the population of a site?
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:12:51 am »

I've read on here that in the current version, goblins won't attack your fortress in high numbers unless you're near a high-pop site of theirs.

But I don't know how to figure out which of their sites are high pop.

Can somebody explain it to me, please?

And what kind of pop should I look for? Higher than 10,000?

One more thing. If I don't deliberately settle in a place that will be attacked from other sites, are there other sources of FUN in this version to compensate for the lack of sieges?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can you see the population of a site?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:46:32 am »

Legends Mode provides the info. I export the info and looks at it with Legends Viewer.

Siegers from each civ comes from a single site, typically (always?) their site closest to your fortress. DF doesn't yet know how to recruit invaders from the rest of the civ, so the invaders depopulate that site as they fall to your defenses. Thus, their pop should be large enough to send you all the sieges you want and be capable of taking the losses (about half of the invaders before they flee). There's organic pop growth, but that's VERY slow (growing a new generation of goblins take the same time as growing a new generation of dorfs). A pop of 10000 is enough. 1000 means it's good for a number of default size sieges before running out of warm bodies to throw at you.

The auto sieges from the void disappeared with world activation early in 0.40.X. 0.44.X introduces raids, and those are supposed to allow you to annoy other civs sufficiently to get them to attack your civ ("supposed to" means I haven't done it myself and haven't seen reports of it, but Toady has implemented it). Note that you're goading the civs to attack your *civ* not your *site*, which means you should set it up so your site is the one closest to any of their civs sites (and a reasonable guess is that their sieges will be staged from their closest settlement, so if it has a pop of 30 you won't see much action).

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:24:36 am »

If you already have a fortress active in the world, you can go to the 'c' screen from dwarf mode and get approximate populations of all sites on the map simply by cursoring over to them.  This is a new feature in the 44.x versions.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:34:07 am »

True, but you can't move your fortress to act on the info...

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:14:30 pm »

I started my latest embark on 43.05. I have chosen with premeditation site 1 empty tile away from Dark Fortress. Like that: xxDxGxx. My mountain home was behind my fortress. Like whole day of travel. For 5 years there were not a single siege. Then Dwarven diplomats arrives telling me the mountain home was sacked. Spring next year I get my first siege, 10 invaders. Not whole month later, during summer, another siege with around 50 Gobblins. Next year I get hit with 2 alike 40-50 Goblin sieges just more spread like spring and autumn. Then comes a week 12 invaders siege and for few years nothing. I upgrade to 44.04/5 and what I see.

-Dark Tower: 200 Goblins.
-Mountain Home : no civilized population.
-Human Town: 100 Humans.

Humans and Goblins are at peace. It seems for some reason Goblins decided to attack and raze my far away Mountain home first, before coming to fight with me. Except channeling surface to level it, I have no idea why. My fortress was getting so many adamantine artifacts and fortress value like 10m, that a Cyclopes came over to say hello. I still killed it of course. Seemed a waste, but there was no use for it. One other thing was, I wasn't hurrying to dig for lava either.

So maybe other factors then distance or fortress' value are taken under consideration for Goblin invasions? Like access to lava or to adamantine?

PS. I just had Goblins siege. Took them few years to mount it. 7 Goblins in total. Smallest siege yet.