Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I fix a well if winter freezing causes the overflow?  (Read 932 times)

black-cat13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I fix a well if winter freezing causes the overflow?
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:50:07 pm »

Still trying to figure out this game.

I have 2 tunnels from the bottom of a nearby brook leading into my fortress. One tunnel is set up for farm irrigation. The second tunnel leads to a small room that meets the farm tunnel, and was dug to reach an area of the brook the didn't seem to freeze during winter. Below this small room is a channel that extends a few squares. My hospital well is above the end of this channel at the same level as the tunnel that brings the water in.

Now, it had been working perfectly fine when I built it. However, once winter starts freezing the brook, my well starts to overflow with no sign of stopping because of the second inlet. This also happens when I temporarily open the doors to water the farm.

How do I go about repairing this so I don't have to build an entirely new hospital and abandon the materials currently in it? I also don't want to kill any miner dorfs if it can be avoided.

A few notes:
1. I am dumb. All tunnels are filled with water, and the only access points connect directly to the main hallway.
2. My save is in late fall, so I have some time before the fun starts.
3. I would love to include a screen cap and save file, but I just registered on the forum and have no clue how.
4. I've read the wiki article for water and pressure multiple times, but I just don't understand how that system works.
5. The channels were my attempt at making a U bend.
6. I don't have any mods or add-ons in my game, and would prefer to keep it that way (If possible, that is).

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I fix a well if winter freezing causes the overflow?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:32 pm »

An easy fix would be to find a tile in your water-transport tunnel that is inside the "freeze-line" for your site, then dig a vertical shaft down from the surface, exposing the tile to the sky. When your brook freezes the exposed tile should also freeze, preventing the water from overflowing your well.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:00 pm »

Then once you do that, you might want to try to put in a floodgate in the temporarily-dry stretch, and attach it to a lever. That way you can shut off the flow at will.

black-cat13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:56:51 am »

Thanks!
I can't believe I didn't think to expose the water so it would freeze. Some did come back up through the well, but at least there was enough space for it to evaporate. I added some doors, wall grates, and a hatch cover so I have some control over the system now.

All I have to worry about now is any Urist McPsychopaths getting into the control room. I'm hoping a restricted area and tightly closed door will be enough.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 03:49:26 pm »

Restricted is only for pathing, and 'tightly closed' stops pets. Forbid the door if you don't want anyone in there.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:27:35 pm »

Tantruming dorfs can destroy things, but they won't pull levers. Wild gremlins turn levers, but they also pass through locked doors, and you should have blocked them from entering your fortress anyway.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »