Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal for world generation to take hours?  (Read 567 times)

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it normal for world generation to take hours?
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:16:35 am »

I think the last version I played was 0.34, where I didn't have this problem.

I just downloaded 0.44 and am trying to generate a medium world. The year is currently 276 and advancing at a rate of 1 year every ten seconds.

Is this normal in the new version, or does it indicate a problem on my end?

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for world generation to take hours?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:19:16 am »

Sorry for the double post. I'm using an i5-5200u @ 2.20 GHz and 8.00 GB RAM.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 01:40:06 am »

I mean, I usually don't let mine go past 100 years because it can turn into a crawl, but I also prefer the era of myth and legends. I can gen a world real quick and see how long it takes.

EDIT: 44_05 with Intel i7 930 and tri-channel RAM, to get to 160 years took 3 minutes and 16 seconds. It does take about 4 to 8 seconds for one year to pass.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:45:53 am by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:08 am »

I mean, I usually don't let mine go past 100 years because it can turn into a crawl, but I also prefer the era of myth and legends. I can gen a world real quick and see how long it takes.

EDIT: 44_05 with Intel i7 930 and tri-channel RAM, to get to 160 years took 3 minutes and 16 seconds. It does take about 4 to 8 seconds for one year to pass.

Thank you for that information. It did take only a few minutes for mine to get to one hundred something. It slows down more and more as more years pass.

I guess this is normal with the latest version. There must be lots more stuff going on in worldgen than there was five years ago.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:28:18 am »

From what I can tell: insane myths, legends, deities, angels, demons, etc all acting and interacting. Toady has done some intense work.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 02:54:02 am »

World gen can take a lot if time. Mine typically take about 4 hours for 400 years. Thus, slow world gen is normal, with smaller worlds, shorter history, and fewer entities in the world results in faster world generation.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:35:24 am »

I don't have any idea why but if you zoom in world gen is multitudes faster.