Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wall not being built  (Read 1036 times)

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wall not being built
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »

I am building a wall, but one of the tiles just is not getting built.

- It is marked for construction.
- pressing 'j' shows it is in the list of jobs to be executed (there are no 'LIFO' parts that would come earlier to be built)
- the tile is on top of another constructed wall
- to the South, SW, SE, E and W are other walls that already have been constructed
- diagonally to the NW is ground-tile with grass
- both the tiles to the North and NE go down one level, but in both of those there are upward slopes, so the tile should be accessible either from the tile with the upward slope to the North or diagonally to the NE from the ground-tile.

This is how I understand it, but I might be missing something here. And if so, what should I do to make it accessible if it is not?

Is there somewhere an explanation about when tiles are accessible and when not for construction?

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
Re: Wall not being built
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »

The accessible orthogonal tile required for building must be on the same z-level. Build a floor on the empty space to the north (above the ramp), and you can deconstruct it once the wall has been built.

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »

Thanks for the great help. Just gave a floor construction order.

BTW, A kitten and a puppy were just born. How do I control this, so I do not get infested with them, but at the same time not having to butcher them continuously - that just breaks my heart, and I will need a psychiater soon  :'(

I am so fainthearted that even having to kill my first goblin, will cause a major problem !  :-\

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »

Make a cage with your carpenter workshop.  "Build" the cage onto the ground somewhere (hint near the butchers lol).  Access the cage with 'q' and assign kittens and puppies and oxen and giant olms etc etc etc to the cage. If your dwarves can carry it, they will gladly stuff it in there.  The cage won't get full and the animals dont need to eat or drink, they can live their entire lives inside until they eventually die of old age (hint, the butchers). 

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:23:26 pm »

BTW, A kitten and a puppy were just born. How do I control this, so I do not get infested with them, but at the same time not having to butcher them continuously - that just breaks my heart, and I will need a psychiater soon  :'(

You could geld some or all of the male cats and dogs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:55:14 pm »

Cages can contain non grazers indefinitely, but grazers (such as cows) will starve in a cage.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 12:47:03 am »

Make sure you get the goblins to pay for it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:55 pm »

You could pasture male and female animals far away from each other, I think they need access to one another to breed now, no longer multiplying via spores.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:43:19 am »

You could pasture male and female animals far away from each other, I think they need access to one another to breed now, no longer multiplying via spores.

Caged males are said to be capable of impregnating adjacent uncaged females, while caged females shouldn't be possible to impregnate (but they can give birth inside the cage if they were caged while pregnant).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:51:17 am »

Make sure you get the goblins to pay for it.

Trump cancels build wall: building funds lost, or destroyed
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479