Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artistic Challenge  (Read 1395 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Artistic Challenge
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:39 pm »

This is for all of you that like to sketch or draw/paint/water/blood/vomit.

I have a pantheon that I'd rather like to see.  I'm fairly creative myself, but I love seeing what other people come up with.

So, I want to see your renditions of my pantheon.  I'm thinking of the old D&D sketches where they'd show you a group of NPCs all in one pic, except this would be more like a Rogues Gallery shot of gods.

I may turn it into a sort of contest.  Perhaps donate some $ in your name. Something.

I like detail, but I like character more.  I want to see what these gods represent by what you give them for clothes, noses, etc.  Character.  To get an understanding of this, watch The Name of the Rose - notice how each of the main monks have their own character typified in their features.  That's what I'm looking for.

How long would you need?  A week? A month?  Sign up here and let me know.

You can post your pics, but judging is completely at my whim.

Here is the Dramatis Personę (no particular order):

Kerlīg, female dwarf - rulership, fortresses
Rśbal Uvelbekom "Bearspring", male dwarf - rain, fertility, agriculture, food
ūd, male dwarf - oaths, loyalty, song, poetry, persuasion, speach
Momuz Nökorrakust "the Dead Tomb", female dwarf - suicide (This explains alot with DF)
Vumom Ottanthīkut "the Mindful Books", female dwarf - wisdom, scholarship, writing
Luslem Adrungak "Sunskunk", male dwarf - moon, night, stars, plants
Gulgun, female dwarf - dusk, twilight, deformity
Ruzos, female dwarf - freedom
Thol, male dwarf - volcanos, earth, caverns, mountains
Tath Tholnekut Tithleth "the Deep Secret of Rumors", female dwarf - dreams
Osram, female dwarf - jewels, wealth

Run with it.  You can even team up with a writer to give histories, relations, etc.

Looking forward to the results.

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artistic Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:07:35 am »

This is for all of you that like to sketch or draw/paint/water/blood/vomit.

I have a pantheon that I'd rather like to see.  I'm fairly creative myself, but I love seeing what other people come up with.

So, I want to see your renditions of my pantheon.  I'm thinking of the old D&D sketches where they'd show you a group of NPCs all in one pic, except this would be more like a Rogues Gallery shot of gods.

I may turn it into a sort of contest.  Perhaps donate some $ in your name. Something.

I like detail, but I like character more.  I want to see what these gods represent by what you give them for clothes, noses, etc.  Character.  To get an understanding of this, watch The Name of the Rose - notice how each of the main monks have their own character typified in their features.  That's what I'm looking for.

How long would you need?  A week? A month?  Sign up here and let me know.

You can post your pics, but judging is completely at my whim.

Here is the Dramatis Personę (no particular order):

Kerlīg, female dwarf - rulership, fortresses
Rśbal Uvelbekom "Bearspring", male dwarf - rain, fertility, agriculture, food
ūd, male dwarf - oaths, loyalty, song, poetry, persuasion, speach
Momuz Nökorrakust "the Dead Tomb", female dwarf - suicide (This explains alot with DF)
Vumom Ottanthīkut "the Mindful Books", female dwarf - wisdom, scholarship, writing
Luslem Adrungak "Sunskunk", male dwarf - moon, night, stars, plants
Gulgun, female dwarf - dusk, twilight, deformity
Ruzos, female dwarf - freedom
Thol, male dwarf - volcanos, earth, caverns, mountains
Tath Tholnekut Tithleth "the Deep Secret of Rumors", female dwarf - dreams
Osram, female dwarf - jewels, wealth

Run with it.  You can even team up with a writer to give histories, relations, etc.

Looking forward to the results.
The biggest problem with dwarves is there's really only one type of nose you can give them: Bulbous and shrouded in beard. It's also immensely hard to convey facial expressions despite the abundance of eyebrow.
I think I'll give it a try anyways.

Edit: I've already written a scene down that I'll probably find completely impossible with my skills. But hey, that's part of the fun anyways.
  Luslem (with Tath sleeping at his feet) is protecting his young oak from the determined Momuz, who is approaching with a noose in hand. She is being pestered by ūd, and of course ignoring him, because no force, divine or otherwise, can dissuade a suicidal dwarf. Vumom is looking on, sighing resignedly. On a nearby hill, Kerlīg sits crosslegged on an impossibly high-backed throne, observing and bemused. Osram is still detailing it. Gulgun lies in the embrace of the sizable Thol nearby. Rśbal would be offering some food to Thol, but a basket of plump helmets has been stolen from him by Ruzos, rapidly dissapearing over the horizon.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:47:44 am by Klendt »
The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:49:27 am »

I'm so gonna try this. You somehow got gods that make sense. Thats like, impossibly rare. Only iffy one is mister Sunskunk, but it sorta works, maybe he thinks the sun stinks being a nocturnal god and all.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:41 am »

I'm so gonna try this. You somehow got gods that make sense. Thats like, impossibly rare. Only iffy one is mister Sunskunk, but it sorta works, maybe he thinks the sun stinks being a nocturnal god and all.

This is exactly what I thought, which is why I wanted a picture.  The Sunskunk grated my nerves a bit, but like everything else in this great game, I used my imagination and reasoned it away.

Thanks for the replies so far - I can't wait to see what you guys/gals come up with.  I was browsing some other artsy threads and loved what different skills/mediums/though processes yielded.

I was going to put a bunch of stipulations on what I liked and wanted to see, but after viewing those other threads, I decided that leaving your muses wide open was the best and didn't want to stifle creativity on any front.

What would be a good time limit?  By next release, end of the month?

**Edit** I forgot to tell you how I reasoned the word Sunskunk away:  I guessed Skunk was a poorly translated dwarven word for 'shun' - as in Luslem is the god of the moon and night and would shun the sun each new day.  Perhaps simplistic, but there are tones of real mythology mixed in there that make it viable.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:22:54 am by Dwarfu »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:19:20 am »

Edit: I've already written a scene down ...

Great scene - even the smallest interaction or interplay gives viewers/readers a closer connection to what the god represents.

Since the scene may be rather large if they all aren't just standing there, as well as drawing all of them at once may be a bit daunting to some, how about we change the challenge to include single portraits of your favorite gods from the group I provided?  That way, if you see one you like, or two as sisters, but don't want to do the others, I still get my pics of my gods and you can enjoy your creations more by doing exactly what you want.  Hopefully, this will allow more people to participate.

Edit for interaction problems between my meathooks and keyboard.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:24:56 am by Dwarfu »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:15:35 am »

It's just too bad you didn't get any animal gods, i once had a conger eel of chaos, fish, lakes and rivers.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.