Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few adventure mode questions I couldn't find answers to  (Read 1278 times)

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few adventure mode questions I couldn't find answers to
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:31:57 am »

Please do not feel obligated to answer every question at once, sorry there are so many. Between all the bug reports and old posts and new wiki articles talking about possible bugs or saying "research needed" I'm having a hard time finding exact answers to questions that might be obvious or easy to find for someone else.

1. Someone on a thread just prior to 44.03 said: "Start by playing 43.05 until the next bug update comes out, there is a crippling reputation bug going on at the moment in 44.01 and 44.02." Was this addressed in 44.03? (I'm guessing this could be a fix: Fixed problem with neighbors not recognizing you, including commander and other quest givers. <-- But when Toady says "neighbors" it makes me think that was a Fortress Mode bug.)

2. I like starting as outsider, but I'm never hostile to bandits and such when I go to their camp, and even if I attack one guy the others stand there, making it too easy to get early loot. Companions will aggro them (and I don't like starting with companions), but I have to Alt-Y and then I'm called a killer. Is this because I'm an outsider, or is this a known bug? I can find bug reports about this but they're pretty old.

3. Related to #2, I will often walk into a bandit camp and find goblins killing dancers. I even walked over to a tavern and saw a goblin warlord run out after a dancer and kill her. I killed him and nobody seemed to care, other than to call me a killer, even though I'm fairly sure he was some sort of criminal (I guess he could have been an insurrectionist but still...). Is this a common thing?

4. I saw in an old post that you can get companions to stop autoattacking wildlife by changing some raws  but I imagine that will require a new world? Is there a better way to do this?

5. How the hell do I get rid of companions without killing them? I made one guy a lord and he's still following me around.

6. Can you be the head of an entire civ, not just a town lord? The head of the civ is an injured vampire so it will be easy if I can figure out how to lay claim to law-giver, but I imagine that might not be working.

7. How can I tell what my character's actual (combat) speed is? Is 1.000 equivalent to 1000 (people throw out numbers in the thousands when I search)? Does jogging make me faster at actual combat? I tried looking this up but the combat speed section on the wiki says: "Attack speed has been overhauled for DF2014. Research is impending." I feel like I'm just missing a button push that will tell me this.

8. I've found a lot on this but it's conflicting: If I'm single grasping a multigrasp weapon as a human (who is not tall or wide, so is therefore capable of multigrasping that weapon, but doesn't have to) is there an actual nerf to hit chance with that weapon or not? On a related note I assume removing from a backpack and having 8 singlegrasp weapons in my hand doesn't create a hit chance issue (not that I should abuse that) but let me know if I'm wrong about that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:20:58 am by Isher »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: A few adventure mode questions I couldn't find answers to
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:06:48 am »

To get rid of companions, talk to them, bring up the journey together, and cancel the agreement.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:20:37 am »

Gah, I'm dumb. I've never asked the same companion another question after asking that one, so I never saw the option. Thank you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:23:16 am »

And nope, there's no hit penalty to holding multigrasp weapons with one hand. Useful you're literally disarmed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 04:34:51 am »

1. That bug is mostly fixed, people don't react quite right to reports of your deeds, but they do change their opinion of you.
2. Bandits tend not to be hostile in their camps but are hostile when patrolling. Also, the 'killer' reputation just means that you kill people, 'murderer' is the bad one.
3. Goblins have ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED, so goblin travellers like bards or scholars are somewhat murder happy. That might have changed in 0.44.01 though.
4. Entity changes usually require a new world. Honestly, I barely bother with companions, and ignore them when I do have them, so I'm not sure of the best solution here.
5. Answered.
6. You can only become the head of a site level government, not a civ level one.
7. Movement speed is separate from combat speed. Movement speed is displayed and altered by attributes and weight, combat speed is mostly based on the modifiers you can choose from the specific attack interface, but some attacks (whips and kicks) are slower.
8. Not sure, to be honest. If there is an accuracy penalty it probably isn't very significant, or it would be easier to notice.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:05:41 pm »

There is a penalty to using weapons you aren't supposed to be able to use. It's hard to say what exactly what it is, but I dug up an old FOTF question I asked about this ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7083334#msg7083334 ) and the only answer I recieved was yes there is a penalty. Toady never answered my question, and he included Putnam in the list of people who helped answer questions, so presumably he considered "Yes there are penalties" a sufficient answer to the question.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:11:08 am »

To #2, that's how it is. Outsiders don't share civ value sets (taken from the entity.txt) so they won't have an issue with bandits and their thievery.

To #7, I'll just repost this old thread where someone asks the same question about what is combat speed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:28:20 am by peasant cretin »