Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have Statues Represented Graphically Like Engravings Are  (Read 726 times)

okelly4408

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have Statues Represented Graphically Like Engravings Are
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:46 am »

I'm not sure if this would be possible to implement but I think it would be a nice touch. Engravings and statues depict the same things except an engraving of a dwarf looks like a dwarf and a statue of one gets the generic statue character. Anybody know if this could be done?

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Have Statues Represented Graphically Like Engravings Are
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:43 am »

I don't think it'll work. If they get a non-black background they may be mistaken for walls, otherwise they make the screen harder to read. I'm sure it could be done, but toggle-able and off by default, imho.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 01:41:08 pm »

It could be done with the graphics update if they went to the trouble of making statues be a sprite like the dwarves, other creatures, or items on the ground are represented instead of floor tiles.  I don't think they're actually going to do that, but it's certainly something even games that started out as roguelikes, such as Vulture for NetHack could do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:45:52 pm »

And in the end, is it worth the effort when the sprite won't look anything like what's being depicted anyway?

Here's a statue that looks like a dwarf.
"13 dwarves being flayed alive by an ass fiend".

Here's a statue which looks like an elf.
"2 elves surrounding a gorlak representing the election of gorlak Urist as mayor".

Here's a statue that looks like a human
"Mercenary human striking down a dragon"

Etc...

I turn off engraving pics anyway...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 04:47:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 05:22:23 pm »

And in the end, is it worth the effort when the sprite won't look anything like what's being depicted anyway?

But what if it's a statue of cheese?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 11:02:42 pm »

But what if it's a statue of cheese?
Unique cheese statue sprites should of course be mandatory.

Again one of those things that even if they don't want to do in Steam set (yet), I hope they remember to make possible for modders at least.