Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf friend with animal?Not pet.  (Read 1038 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Dwarf friend with animal?Not pet.
« on: December 25, 2017, 10:21:23 am »

My dwarf has passing meeting with a war leopard.And earlier the war leopard asked to become a citizen in my fort.???

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf friend with animal?Not pet.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:23:10 am »

War leopard indicates it's war trained, and thus tamed somewhere. If you've modded leopards to be intelligent they're presumed to behave like Gremlins, who petition for citizenship after being captured and trained. Dorfs become friends with fortress "animal" citizen Gremlins.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:40 pm »

My current fort, most dwarves have befriended lots of cats and kittens. For some reason, the butchered cats and kittens are also slabbable. They're not modded.
At the same time, one of my first immigrants is a cat lover, he arrived with a cat. So far, he hasn't adopted any new cats yet in 18 years fort time. Maybe the cats showing up in the other dwarves' friend lists are a result of cat-owner adoption somehow getting borked?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:40:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:00:38 am »

I think that animals petition for sanctuary after you send someone on a mission. The animal goes with the dwarf and upon return it wants get back in your fort.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 05:12:27 am »

I think that animals petition for sanctuary after you send someone on a mission. The animal goes with the dwarf and upon return it wants get back in your fort.
That should be reported if it's still happening. Toady said he fixed it in 44.02.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 05:25:44 am »

In general any reports of animals & pets conversing with dwarves in a sentient kind of way and talking should also be left here where appropriate.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »

This sounds like it relates to a bug I was recently experiencing. For some reason, some animals are intelligent enough to want to worship deities but can't because they can't talk.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:19 am »

This sounds like it relates to a bug I was recently experiencing. For some reason, some animals are intelligent enough to want to worship deities but can't because they can't talk.
It's probably not related. The prayer bug is "old" i.e. introduced when temples were introduced, not new to this arc.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »

I've seen dwarves that are friends with animals as far back as 0.40. I think dwarves talk to animals and that somehow triggers familiarity and friendship. My legendary animal trainers in Bastiongate had dozens of animals they were friends with, and they had the highest social skills of anyone in the fort.