Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Migrants  (Read 1961 times)

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Migrants
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:31:05 am »

Just started a fort in 44.03 and I've gotten five migrants who are legendary in various skills. Is this normal for this version of DF, or should I start checking for vampires?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Migrants
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:25:32 pm »

Legendary skills happen and the frequency is probably more dependent on the worlds than the version. Screening migrant waves for vampires is always wise, though, regardless of skill levels.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:55:06 pm »

Have you checked if they created artifacts? I've gotten a few dwarves who have created artifacts.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:43:16 am »

The frequency has jumped dramatically in the new version. Most of them have "Creator of ." as a title; they made artifacts during world gen.

And yes, it doesn't actually name the artifact, nor do they have the associated fulfilled life goals for things like "creating a great work of art" or "mastering a skill". One thing at a time.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:26:48 pm »

I've had two legendaries show up, the bone carver, has one kill of a dwarf... and has a dwarf bone amulet. I'll have to look to see if that is an artifact.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »

I've had two legendaries show up, the bone carver, has one kill of a dwarf... and has a dwarf bone amulet. I'll have to look to see if that is an artifact.

Don't vampires make bone jewelry from their victims? You might want to check him for vampirism.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:23:40 pm »

Don't vampires make bone jewelry from their victims? You might want to check him for vampirism.
So do dwarves in fell mood, to produce artifacts made of dwarven body parts.  Interesting developments.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 04:12:00 am »

So do dwarves in fell mood, to produce artifacts made of dwarven body parts.  Interesting developments.
it was not an artifact.

I changed the mountain civ ethics to be more extreme... put nature at -50 and allowed make totem from citizens and people, so carrying a dwarf bone earring or other items is within my civ ethics. I should have lots of goblin meat shortly after the first invasion, makes disposing of the prisoners (burp) delicious.

So far I've had 5 legendary migrants and they have all been either bone carvers or woodcarvers, (one mooded upon entry into the map) So I would say they were dwarfs with no moodable skills that got defaulted to the crafting workshop. I will expect to get lots of legendry crafting dwarves in the future and will plan accordingly.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »

it was not an artifact.

Soldiers are the only other NPCs who would create non-artifact bone jewelry, and they wouldn't have killed a dwarf in siege, I think.
Therefore this migrant is probably a vampire.
See warwizard's post below.
You could seal him away in an inaccessible room to serve as an anti-defeat measure (i.e. you would always have at least one dwarf alive.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:24:02 pm by Eschar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 04:00:16 pm »

If he has a named dwarf kill, that doesn't mean he's a vampire. Vampires only have unnamed kills and don't even show them. He might be a beast hunter who killed a werebeast, but legends diving is the only way to be sure.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:51:11 pm »

If he has a named dwarf kill, that doesn't mean he's a vampire. Vampires only have unnamed kills and don't even show them. He might be a beast hunter who killed a werebeast, but legends diving is the only way to be sure.
I had a migrant once (pre-spy release) who lived in the dark pits for a while, studying poetry. She's got a few dwarf kills to her name. Murder is just the way of life down in the dark pits. She saw sense, moved back to dwarvern society then migrated to my fortress. Great skills, suspicious kill list.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »

I had a migrant once (pre-spy release) who lived in the dark pits for a while, studying poetry. She's got a few dwarf kills to her name. Murder is just the way of life down in the dark pits. She saw sense, moved back to dwarvern society then migrated to my fortress. Great skills, suspicious kill list.
That's probably more likely, I've seen quite a few of those in my new fort.