Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my world is gone  (Read 643 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my world is gone
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »

I started a new fortress and about 30 minutes later I had to go somewhere, so I saved it and quit, when I got back and booted up DF the world was gone, only option was "create new world" looking in my files and the region is still there, help
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: my world is gone
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »

Did you accidentally retire/abandon? Is there a start new game option?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:46:46 pm »

no like I said, the only option (besides advanced parameters, settings and quit) is create new world...and considering all the crashes and bugs i've had with 44, I'm going back to 43 for a while
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:46:41 pm »

Are you sure you shut the computer down after the saving was done, so the OS didn't decide it needed to kill the "unresponsive" DF in order to power down?

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:29:58 pm »

found the reason, and it's super simply: memory card is fucked up right now...so yeah, until I get it fixed I can't assume any thing will save
GENERATION 30:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:13:10 pm »

Unless you actually installed Dwarf Fortress on your "memory card", I don't see how just the savegame could vanish by itself...

Where exactly did you install the game?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:37 am »

If you have more than one install of DF, and started up the install that you have not been using, you would see no saved world.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.