Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning weapons  (Read 767 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning weapons
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:50:40 pm »

So, reading the wiki, I found the part were it says that burning artefacts will keep burning forever, which I think is awesome! But how realistic is it to create a military dwarf with a !!sword!! ? possible? practical? will gauntlets protect him from the fire or will he avoid the artefact completely due to "danger"?

looking forward to hear what you know about this.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burning weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:16:36 am »

As far as I understand a burning weapon is all burning, and dorfs won't grab it. To create a usable burning weapon you'd have to somehow make it as a compound item where the remote part is on fire but not the handle, but such items are currently not supported by DF.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:56:56 am »

You could put it in a weapon trap before setting it on fire, or fire it out of a minecart, but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

A more interesting use would be to set a trap for artefact hunters to see if they're stupid enough to steal it while on fire. Perhaps they could be required to escape through a hall of bituminous coal grates above a 20 z-level drop to a pool of magma?

In any case, weaponizing it is dwarfy, so if you happen to have an otherwise useless wooden or coal artefact weapon why not?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:26:06 am by thompson »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:39 am »

Nice ideas. There may be some problems with burning weapons in a weapon trap though:
- Will they catch fire while part of a trap (can probably be tested easily with wooden weapons)?
- There's a risk enemies won't enter a weapon trap with a burning weapon.

Bit coal grates: it probably takes too long for them to burn through to drop the perpetrators. My guess is that burning artifacts will be deter any thieves that aren't inherently fire safe (basically some titans).

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »

I love burning artifact floodgates, when retracted dwarves can safely pass over them with nary a singe, then when the hippies or goblins come you have I'gor Urist pull the lever and the burning floodgate sets the grass on fire that is near the thing and the grass fire kills the common invaders. Note: grass fires will now travel up slopes.

make everything in the weapon trap out of stone or metal except for the wooden or coal artifact weapon then set fire to the grass next to the trap, and the artifact weapon will get set alight. if it's already burning, unless you have a fireproof dwarf (dwarf with all fat layers melted off, see !!science!! thread for how to do that.) the thing is useless.

So fireproof dwarf + weapon trap with burning weapon, dissemble the trap assign that fireproof dwarf to pick up the weapon, but never let that dwarf be off duty, or you will have !!booze stockpile!!.