Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The one everyone hates  (Read 3275 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: The one everyone hates
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:59:53 am »

Eh, it's nothing compared to stuff that's already out there in other games, movies, and books. But Toady doesn't want this game going in that direction, especially with how the player base gets sometimes.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to add to the topic at hand. I haven't gotten very far into this release, and every spy I've seen has been asking about artifacts.
Yeah, I kinda wish Toady was a tad more loose on that (atleast, enough to not proverbially burn the entire thread down and salt the earth). Reading it again I'm really not that disgusted anymore, infact I sorta wish there was some kind of optional support for that sort of thing, for world history purposes. I guess maybe once the hopeful-bleak world sliders are a thing we'd atleast see implications of it, like back in older versions with the tentacle demons.

I haven't really seen any "villains" like that in the worlds either, atleast not yet. I don't count adventurers into that, obviously.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:41 am »

Sexual theme is incredibly hard to approach in pretty much any medium, let alone an ascii simulation game.

While I also found the feverish response from the community and Toady himself amusing, I on one hand understand where it comes from completely.

You can't really implement a theme like that in a game like this without any tactful approach, as in you cannot just imply it here and there, half bury it in other things and hope for the best; no no. You either have to go all out and deliver a clear emotional impact or any sort of message(whatever it might be) or just don't do it at all. When you do an half handed attempt at it, there's a fair chance it can get interpreted in a million different ways and people will find a way to get offended by it.

Also, it's incredibly easy to be juvenile. I mean, the whole story of Obok Meatgod was that: juvenile. Some people act like it was quite literally the most horrible thing in the world they've seen, but unfortunately I find myself in a reality where actual real life incidents and politics are quite far more horrid then, say, a fictional character performing atrocity through sloppily modded means. It's fantastically hard to maintain class and quality with this. It takes far too much effort for quite a little gain.

That said, I really don't think a sexual theme in DF is a good idea, and I am betting good money Toady thinks exactly the same.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:41:29 am by DoomOnion »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:03 pm »

I have not had anyone quite that infamous.

I have actually never had anyone come to my fort yet asking fort someone, how does that work?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »

I have not had anyone quite that infamous.

I have actually never had anyone come to my fort yet asking fort someone, how does that work?

In the 'v' 'g' selection for visitors, once they talk to a dwarf in your fortress, it will say something along the lines of "...came to [Fortress] seeking the location of [Hist Fig/Identity]... also heard [Tavern/Library] was the place to [entertain guests/study]" or something like that, my memory's a bit fuzzy.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 03:59:59 pm »

This actually makes me wonder what would happen if that individual and those looking for him would meet up at your fortress.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »

Ah, got it. Yeah never seen that one where they are looking for someone specifically.

Depends why they are looking for him. Do you know that they hate him? Maybe his recipe for egg quiche is famously delicious.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]