Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's changed since Wheelbarrows?  (Read 1434 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
What's changed since Wheelbarrows?
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:16 pm »

Soooo, I haven't played any of the new fortress modes since right before the addition of libraries.  Working taverns and human visitors are a rumor to  me, and the idea that I shouldnt murder every human and goblin that stumbles in is a silly proposition to me.

My last real attempt to play was . . . this
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140842.msg5487290#msg5487290

And I mean, this is so old that we embarked on a tomb complex and murdered an olm-man vampire into a human war.  Speaking of, can we diplomatically resolve vampire liaisons or  diplomats?

Any way.  What changes in my first new fort?  Can I play the new versions of the game as if it were 34.11?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's changed since Wheelbarrows?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:08:21 pm »

Honestly, a LOT has changed since 34.11. So much that I should probably leave it to someone else to explain it all. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »

well, the caravan arc is done.
and the army arc has started.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:26:16 pm »

Not that the game is really being developed in terms of "arcs" anymore, except in larger-scale terms (like the myth & magic arc).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:16 pm »

Not that the game is really being developed in terms of "arcs" anymore, except in larger-scale terms (like the myth & magic arc).
true, I was just saying the caravan arc because I feel this guy is familiar with the old definition arcs instead of our current definition of arcs being
huge, game changing additions.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »

Dwarfs got a whole wheel (134 spokes?) of emotions that pretty much negated tantrum spirals.

Elves become overpowered due to 1 tile = 1 log trees became multi-tile tress = elfloads of logs that if it falls on your dwarf, it can maim and kill, as well as punch holes in your constructed ceiling / floors but that last part was patched.  But the elves themselves are just the same wimps. it's their tree-kin that got buffed. 

Locations replaced the meeting hall / dinning room to provide social interactions: Taverns, Temples, Library, and now maybe Museums are set as meeting zones that satisfy certain emotional needs.  Green text is optional need while idle; purple text is must need disregarding other labors or military commands. 

With taverns, you get visitors, including animal-man who may petition to "reside" in your fort, and then to become a "citizen" of your fort where they can do any dorf labor.   Mercenary visitors can be included in as squad members that is captained by a current citizen of the fortress. 

Scholars may visit and write books or steal book; or you can assign your own citizen to be a useless scholar to write a book.  Scribes you assign copy books in. 

Temples can be dedicated to specific deities; and upon toppling statues can get the toppler cursed with vampirism, or lychantrophy. 

Sieging army now comes from existing world population instead of our of the void; which then adds issues to the army's pathing to sieging your fort in a regular and consistent manner; or worse, lack of sieges. 

Now, the latest is artifacts. Where you can raid places in the world, stealing stuff (mostly books) and can piss off other civs to declare war.  Sometimes your raiding part gets captured, die, or just get lost and never to return.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 06:14:24 pm »

Also, weapons in weapon traps now degrade and cause crashes. Or was that patched?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »

Also, weapons in weapon traps now degrade and cause crashes. Or was that patched?
The weapon trap crash was fixed in version 0.44.01 - weapons still break, though I'm not sure what happens to the trap when that happens (it might continue working without it, or it might just deconstruct).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »

The weapon trap crash was fixed in version 0.44.01 - weapons still break, though I'm not sure what happens to the trap when that happens (it might continue working without it, or it might just deconstruct).
I think no one has tested it. I think it was fixed but no one tested it because everyone is too paranoid that once the weapon breaks the game will still crash

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »

Well with new update we can now rade other civilizations!And kick those elves buts!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:05:32 pm »

I think no one has tested it. I think it was fixed but no one tested it because everyone is too paranoid that once the weapon breaks the game will still crash

Can confirm that it deconstructs.

What's odd is that I've gotten all of the weapons back sometimes when it deconstructs. Almost like the mechanism is wearing out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0