Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on a fort idea  (Read 1153 times)

Drako365

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Advice on a fort idea
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:38:40 pm »

I have this idea for a fort, the magnificent seven.
Basically, I set my pop cap to 7, raid some necros for necro books, and set up a necro-fort. With these seven, I then capture something like a cave dragon or hydra breeding pair, and utilizing the amazing framerates I get from small populations (around 140 FPS on a current fort with 30 dorfs, and a QSP) I breed and grow an army of these creatures to full size. In the mean time, I'll probably train them all up to legendary in every skill or something.

So aside from general advice, I have a few questions:
1. Is raiding immediately and just not setting up a farm feasible? How can I get my dwarves to read the books/slabs before they all die?
2. Is sealing my dorfs underground and trapping the fortress liason to prevent the popup he makes possible?
3. Are raised creatures hostile to necrodwarves? Or would my dwarves be vulnerable to their own creations?
4. Anything essential I should worry about doing before all my dwarves are necromancers?
5. What happens when/if one of my dwarves dies? Do the other dwarves raise him? If so, how do I prevent hauntings?
6. are there any good ways to increase the probability of actual dragons showing up?
7. Are giant elephants particularly rare?
8. Besides glass, what are some good ways to keep my dwarves productively employed for a thousand years?

I also have other thoughts involving HFS, but clowns are bad for framerates, so I think I'll leave those for later.
I once died chasing a fish off a waterfall.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a fort idea
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:13:05 pm »

Dude do we have any proof that dwarfs would actually read the books knowing they will turn into necromancers?And also your insane.Let me know how it turns out!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »

1. Seems it is feasible. Just make it into a library and dwarves will read on their own (unless they absolutely detest abstract thought, maybe).
2. Sure.
3. Yes.
4. Turning them all into vampires, since it's going to be harder once they'll only drink when handed a cup.
5. Only raise in combat. Also, can prevent hauntings by making a slab at mason's workshop, then engraving it in craftsdwarf's, then building it.
6. Embark on a lair of multiple such megabeasts/check with region-pops list-all that your embark can get cave dragons (and if it doesn't, populate them pre-embark with biomemanipulator).
7. Not any more than any other animals in savage regions. Which means they're probably present, but not always.
8. Seven different libraries to fully independently discover skill trees, then letting them mingle to get the discoveries that require shared skill trees. I think Critical Thinker has multiple possible paths. If you're willing to go up to 20 dwarves, you could use moods + killing whoever mooded after getting the artifact to get 1 more dwarf and waiting for mood again.

@Shadowdragon00: Yes. Try Bloodyhells, a succession game with necromancers-by-reading.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:17:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Drako365

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:30:41 pm »

4. Ahh...that explains a lot. Thx.
6. Didn't realize that populations were predetermined. That's actually really important, thanks for the heads up.

@Shadowdragon00: Am I really? You clearly haven't read the story of Archcrystal.

Hmm, turns out giant elephants are bigger than dragons, although I'd imagine they're not quite as tough. Still makes cave dragons seem a tad redundant, since they lack fire and all. Also, the elephant route would involve embarking in a jungle, which introduces lots of potential lag, although having reliable access to wood without claiming the caverns would be nice.

The vampire thing worries me though, from what I understand, vampires are rare, and you never embark with them, so I'd have to get really lucky to get one, and getting the entire fort to be vampiric is tricky.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »

As an aside, you will need a method of disposing of the first 2 migrant waves.  They are hard-coded, and cannot be avoided.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:36:03 pm »

Vampires can be obtained by an intelligent being toppling a statue in a temple to the relevant cursing deity, or by capturing a vampire visitor(they're announced as such, but can be somewhat rare). Ultimately, the simplest way to obtain one may be toppling a statue in adv mode yourself.

After you have one, just have it bleed into well water, then have dwarves draw and drink buckets of water laced with vampire blood.

Large benefit of cave dragons in Archcrystal was fire and smoke immunity. Though I'm not sure Sethatos is sane, relatively speaking, since forts like his are few and far between. The proper dragons would have been actually worse, what's with being targets for military and causing friendly fire that doesn't hurt &.

@Immortal-D: You can avoid them by setting popcap to 7 or less before you start.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:38:19 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:43:44 pm »

@Immortal-D: You can avoid them by setting popcap to 7 or less before you start.
Hunh.  TIL

Drako365

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 10:57:56 pm »

Vampires can be obtained by an intelligent being toppling a statue in a temple to the relevant cursing deity, or by capturing a vampire visitor(they're announced as such, but can be somewhat rare). Ultimately, the simplest way to obtain one may be toppling a statue in adv mode yourself.

After you have one, just have it bleed into well water, then have dwarves draw and drink buckets of water laced with vampire blood.

Large benefit of cave dragons in Archcrystal was fire and smoke immunity. Though I'm not sure Sethatos is sane, relatively speaking, since forts like his are few and far between. The proper dragons would have been actually worse, what's with being targets for military and causing friendly fire that doesn't hurt &.

Yea...that's gunna be Fun. Also means that safely necroing right at the start is probably a bad idea. I think that the whole dragon thing will be interesting, but the real nice thing about this fort plan is the idea of seven dwarves getting legendary in literally every combat skill. True Super-Soldiers. With that in mind, were-dwarves actually gain some appeal, due to the auto-regeneration, but transformations just sounds really messy. Might almost be worth splitting the fort into a mortal and a immortal section.

At any rate, I think I'll focus on my plan with the circus. Doesn't require waiting for centuries, so probably a lot more doable, and interesting. As a bonus, this plan is easily repeatable, and makes sealing myself in the depths somewhat more sensible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:05:57 pm »

Pure combat wise, necromancer werehusks are probably the best intelligent solitary weapons (provided the transformation size difference is small enough to keep the gear - a human werecavy with intermediary armor might work), though obviously relatively unproductive wealth-wise. Vampires won't destroy furniture or cause loyalty cascades, so they're more usable.

Combat skills....Eeh, maybe make a backup and check if NO_EXERT on the necros stops them from recovering from tiredness after individual combat drills just in case, I recall it caused some issue with that. Nbd, given the undead allowing for training dummies.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:10:15 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:45:14 am »

For disposing of dwarves, you can now just repeatedly send them halfway across the world on some kind of suicide mission.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.