Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trade caravan leaves for no reason  (Read 2048 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trade caravan leaves for no reason
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:37:19 am »

new fortress, first dwarf caravan arrived so I had my goods moved, everything was going normal, liaison came and talked. then the first wagon enter the depot but didn't unload, the second caravan kinda hovered right outside the depot, as soon as the liaison was done talked they all left, all of them, even the liaison, I didn't get a "the wagons pass your unreachable site message" or anything, they just left, I had two depot, one wood (temporary one in case my main, stone one, didn't get done in time) and a rock one that I finished only a few days before they arrived, I had some paved roads being built, but none had even been designed yet...so, help
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trade caravan leaves for no reason
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:01:48 am »

The normal reason for caravans to leave unexpectedly is a merchant getting frightened and fleeing, taking the caravan with him. There is no notification of that (apart from the trade depot reporting there's no inbound caravan). If you're lucky you can see the merchant with an exclamation mark above his head, but that's it.
The most common reason for panicking merchants is the horrifying sight of remains of sapients, down to and including half a goblin tooth (well, I guess half a kobold tooth would be even smaller). Merchants can also be spooked by animals. It's rather common for spooked merchants to scuttle, i.e. dump what they're carrying (assuming the "merchant" is a wagon or an animal puller. That can be seen as a pile of junk at the tile where they dumped it as well as extra stuff in red in the inventory screen (once the merchants have left, as the whole caravan inventory is displayed that way normally).

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

the only animals at the time were barn owls, and the only "remains" would a few drops of goblin blood

EDIT: after relooking, I saw there were also 4 giant flies, so that might be why. also, in the unit screen, the wagon is listed as "missing"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:35:42 am by 4powerd »
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:29:13 pm »

It sounds like the wagon deconstructed (which is what happens when it is scuttled). You ought to have a pile of junk plus 3 pieces of wood from the wagon at the tile where this happened.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »

yeah, I do now that I looked, lotsa stuff
GENERATION 30: