Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overflowing river  (Read 846 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overflowing river
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:27:16 am »

Sorry for posting a lot of questions here :/

I have a new fortress situated around a waterfall. For the entire year, the river's been stable. I dug a small area under and behind the waterfall, at (1 above) water level, for a water source that would instantly destroy vomit.

However, now it's late autumn. The upper river's just started to freeze. For some reason, the lower river has started to flood, even though no part of the lower river is frozen.

Why is this happening, and is there any pump-less method to prevent it?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Overflowing river
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:17 am »

I have a new fortress situated around a waterfall. For the entire year, the river's been stable. I dug a small area under and behind the waterfall, at (1 above) water level, for a water source that would instantly destroy vomit.

However, now it's late autumn. The upper river's just started to freeze. For some reason, the lower river has started to flood, even though no part of the lower river is frozen.

What's happening is the non-frozen part probably is upstream, and the downstream part is no longer draining due to the ice. Therefor, the waterfall keeps adding water on top of the non-frozen water, that doesn't have anywhere else to drain...

Also a few screen caps would help diagnose your problem.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:01 am »

Why?
Fluid pressure fuckery.

Pump-free method of fixing it?
Dig. Dig an overflow valve that flows into the caverns, or your well. Or use it as an obsidian farm. Build a damn that obstructs extra water flow but not regular flow, and use that to divert water into a hole. That hole can then flow anywhere, or just lead to a huge area to evaporate the water and leave you with mud.

Uses for all this water?
Inundation-based agriculture.
Obsidian farms.
A well.
Holding tank for water-based fun.
Swimming pool.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:24 pm »

It's passed and it's summer now.

But I was confused because the ice dam is on top of the waterfall, and the flooding occurred at the bottom of the waterfall. I'd expect the bottom to run dry. Unless water can go up waterfalls now?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.