Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Precursive Artifact  (Read 934 times)

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Precursive Artifact
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:33:31 am »

So we're all pretty used to meta/recursive artifacts at this point, artifacts that reference other artifacts, or reference themselves... but I seem to have an artifact that references an artifact that WASN'T EVEN CREATED at the time, but has since come to pass.  Instead of recursive, I'm liking to think of this as precursive.   ;)  Now, in fairness, I had a game crash, and it's possible there is some save goofiness, but the way artifact creation is going in this fort, and the thought of having an artifact that prophesized an artifact to come, well... I'm rolling with it.  Posting a screenshot, lists my artifacts in the order in which they were created, and then shows the second one referencing the future third one.  Needless to say, my military is equipping themselves with artifact weapons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Precursive Artifact
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:56 am »

Yes, this is a known thing. 
It's because the game doesn't decide what's on the artifact until you actually look at it, and it's not been programmed with any kind of chronological awareness.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:52:00 am »

I like it.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:36:43 am »

For Science, does it still do that in the current version, even though all the other artifacts in the world have descriptions fixed at the time of creation?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:33:09 pm »

Are the descriptions fixed at time of creation? 
Wouldn't be hard to test. Just needs a bit of savescumming.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »

Are the descriptions fixed at time of creation? 
Wouldn't be hard to test. Just needs a bit of savescumming.
The new worldgen artifacts are (they're in Legends), but regular behavior for fortress artifacts previously was to make the description when you first look at it (saves memory or something but results in pictures of stuff in the future of you don't look at it for a while).

Presumably the new artifacts are saved in Legends upon creation though, so it'd make sense if this has changed in 44.0x.

Make an artifact, don't look at it then retire and open it in Legends. What does the description say?