Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode - Tweaks  (Read 687 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode - Tweaks
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:53:29 pm »

Please see the following video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NynjPEyorw

Tweaks:

1. Ability to either "ignore" combat dialogue, or "skip it" with the use of a single button. Preferably, a toggle-button that ceases either combat dialogue from stopping gameplay (currently, one can't move until pressing through all combat dialogue screens), or from showing altogether.
2. Ability to not to be pushed over by friendlies.
3. Companions need to keep up/follow better. Possibly a bug here.
4. River crossings - allow the ability to traverse in Global Map view.

Explanations:
1. Because having to spam-hold through this many combat logs is just damn infuriating.
2. Because Armok DAMN IT. I am NOT a carpet for my undead SLAVE army as they knock me over & prevent me from standing back up by trampling me. This is 10 times worse when in combat. Just as I'm fighting, my soldiers ALWAYS knock me down, & then when I next move, instead of 10 actions passing, 100 actions just whiz by because my movement speed went from 1.8 to 0.3. Holy Urist, that's just not cool.
3. When I left the Dark Fortress, none of my army of undead could keep up. I couldn't fast travel, & unless I lay on the floor to crawl back & forth 50 times before moving 10 more tiles & repeating (to let them catch up), I would not have been able to leave until at least a real time hour or more had passed. Whelp, as a result, when I finally could enter fast travel, my army wasn't with me. They didn't even appear as an asterisk on the Global Map. When checking the legends, apparently, my entire undead army had become Outcast residents at the Dark Fortress.
4. When first thinking about this, I would have agreed with you. You can't let people cross rivers because not everyone in the party can swim. But ignoring this logic (as I don't know other reasons), this little game mechanic only serves to hinder the player experience. Why? The player can't have smooth travel across the map due to these imaginary walls. He/she is constantly forced to go into Map-View to manually cross what could've been done in Global-View. After crossing rivers with companions, they just cross the river anyway regardless of swimming logic (& the player is an adept swim here..)
As a result, this mechanic provides unnecessary complication, comes across as nuisance which everyone is now to forced to work around undermining its existence, & only serves to force players to constantly alternate screens, extending a journey's length tenfold. In addition, having undead is what finally ticked me off, as some got permanently stuck at the river as a result of this. I spend most of my time now just walking all the way around rivers because I refuse to waste effort switching views & watching companions either drown to death from a sudden ice-melt or die from pathing around into a crocodile when alone, assuming they even decide to follow me in Global-View anymore instead of being stuck there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:34:12 pm by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode - Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:05:19 am »

Dialogue - As seen voiced elsewhere as well, the ability to have flowing, as opposed to broken, dialogue.

I.e. when starting a conversation, maintaining that screen instead of needing to go back into the dialogue screen each sentence.

I assume there'd be a reason to want to ignore the conversation mid-flow, but 95% of the time, that isn't the case. So therefore, in the 5% of the time, we can deal with the extra button presses to disengage the from current conversation to talk to someone else/shout/walk away/etc. akin to Skyrim's style.
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.