Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic Materials How To?  (Read 1978 times)

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generic Materials How To?
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »

Are there instructions for how to add generic leather, animal parts, and wood to the game like Masterwork has? Or is my best bet for this looking at Masterwork to figure it out?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:43:43 pm by tj333 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Materials
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »

While it's not a complicated process, it is a very work intensive one, so it will probably be faster to copy/paste a fair amount from the Masterwork mod. Basically what you will be doing is creating a "dummy" creature with the desired generic templates. (So the dummy creature, if it somehow spawned, would drop all generic stuff. Then what you need to do is go into each and every animal in the raws and change their material lists to include the leather from the dummy creature instead of making a new "cat leather" or whatever inside of their raws.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Generic Materials How To?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »

For leather alone, you don't have to actually modify each individual creature - it should be enough to just remove the LEATHER material from the default body detail plan, create a new leather material (possibly even as an INORGANIC), then change the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT defined in SKIN_TEMPLATE to use it instead of the local leather material.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:54 pm »

You have to do dummy creatures and/or editing of the tissue/material templates for creatures and creature mats, the wood type from trees, delete most things in soil/sand/clay, trim down on the number of stones/ores/gems, and do a search and replace through most files. IF you can wait for 2 months (lol) then you will get it directly from me, otherwise go ahead, maybe you find a neat little trick here and there that I overlooked. Generic eggs and generic blood for example didnt really work out for me...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TaigaR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:19 am »

Still no clear solution found. People are probably still interested. I can't use Masterwork because I'm on Linux, so is there a mod just for that - generic materials? Ideally it would be good to see everything generic - fat, meat etc.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »

Depends on how generic, you will need at least 3 levels, Normal, Fire-proof, and Magma-Proof/dragonfire proof

That would be as generic as you can go for creatures without splitting Crab-like chitin creatures, insects, etc for generic-ness using the mentioned dummy creatures.

Plants would just need 1 or 2 dummy plants to hold materials, and stuff like soft and hard wood (if you care)