Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-z level rooms mod?  (Read 752 times)

aajowa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Multi-z level rooms mod?
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:24:16 am »

Hello all,
I'm a medium-term DF player who's become recently obsessed with above-ground fortresses. I like building multi-storey townhouses in winding, cobbled streets, but there is a limitation with room generation having each story having to be set and owner-designated as its own individual building.
I'm wondering if anyone knows enough about modding or code to create a seemingly-simple mod to allow buildings to expand along the z axis, as well as x-y - perhaps choosing these level movements through stairs, similar to internal doors in flat-room generation? (I know one is a building and the other a pair of constructions, not sure if that influences its ability).

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone would show me to a mod like this, or the basics of editing the game - at the moment my workaround is to individually designate a lower-story dining hall and upper-story bedroom to each dwarf, which is simply godawful. Thanks too for anyone able to give me meta advice regarding posting on the forum; i've never posted here before.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-z level rooms mod?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:09 am »

Alas no, DF does not support this - at the moment.

You can make multi-level taverns, temples, and libraries though, perhaps you can give everyone their own tavern?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:21 am »

DFHack might be able to help. If I were you I'd check this thread.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:29 pm »

If a house has many levels and someone can own the whole house, I'd just make the dinning room the main floor, office the second, and bedroom the top floor.

idk I think the little micro manage stuff to make the minor details make DF fun.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

That is essentially what I do, along with making the top floor a little sealed bunker thing with some arrow slits, and a burrow for alerts.  Civies can hole up in there and shoot at things :)

aajowa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:10:09 am »

Thanks for your responses, all. It's a shame that I can't do this the easy way; but I hope that link of yours works out!