Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interactions Broken?  (Read 1366 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Interactions Broken?
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:35 am »

Was hoping to get back into modding, but it seems Interactions are broken.

Broken in the way they are used by the AI

It seems the only way to have them use a "Use this whenever you can" interaction requires them to be in combat (no usage hint)
However for friendlies (use this only on your friends) you need the Usage hint GREETING or CLEAN_FRIEND and only works in adventure mode, fortress mode AI don't care.

What happened and why? I don't see a new INIT option for "save CPU by making AIs not use interactions/check interaction use in calm times"

Or is it because I have Df-Hack installed and it's running some "Optimization" script disallowing AI to use Interactions how they used to?

Because of this I can't make the mod I wanted
Workshop > Mage > Syndrome that allows transforming raw creature to shaped creature

if the mage won't do the transform in fortress mode, it's pointless. And having the mage be in combat at this crucial stage is not an option, and is rather over complicated (the process is complicated enough as is)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Interactions Broken?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:12 am »

Yeah, I think it was DF2014 that changed it. :( Non-combat interactions now happen only sporadically (though they do happen).

What trickeries are you planning? Could the syndrome just be a direct transformation on the raw creature, or is this a limb-spawn thing?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:36:59 am »

There was going to be some cave creatures that would Limb spawn minions if none where nearby (cave pond/pool beast)
But that creature was optional

My main goal was to be able to have a sort of breeder creature that would make a raw template of a creature "Essence" if you will. And you'd have your mage (A Shaper) pick what he wanted to shape that essence into.

be it a slave worker, or a disposable soldier, or a magical beast to follow your militia. The choice is yours depending on what one you pick, so how does this affect normal necromancers? Reanimation isn't always during battle.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38:45 am »

Sorry if I misunderstand, but could you not pasture the raw Essence near the workshop and run the reaction to transform it directly? Imo this seems to be the most ideal, since you're using regular breeding and not limb-spawning for Essence. Ah, unless you require a Shaper to be present and not just some chump dwarf... I see I see.

How about the reactions offer longer-term cdi's for the Shaper itself, eg. specific Worker Shapers, Soldier Shapers, Beast Shapers, giving them the ability to transform any Essence it encounters into it's chosen caste? So you'd pasture them in a small room with the raw Essences and wait for them to get transformed.

Personally, I haven't played around with necromancers, so take my words with a grain of salt. I believe they do still reanimate out-of-combat fairly frequently, just not immediately upon seeing a fresh corpse. Well there's always dfhack/spawn-unit if you need it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »

Yeah the art of Shaping is a well guarded secret and is held close to those that learned it and earned the trust of the knowledge.
So anyone just doing it would not work. With how many creations I plan on making I'd rather not make a Caste for each one (or Syndrome making that Shaper Caste prefixed with they type)

I'm running an instance of Arena mode to see how long it takes for the interaction to trigger (to see if it's viable, if it takes a stupid amount of time then it's not)
EDIT: Yeah it was running for a bit probably about 2 years in game, Nothing.

I'd rather shy away from Df-Hack if at all possible. Because this WAS possible before
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:23:49 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 05:44:27 pm »

Well - I know that they DO work, but as said, they have been made a lot more 'rare' in fort mode - not sure on the numbers, but I have some interactions going on in my current mod, and they occasionally happen.  But because they're now unreliable, I have shied away from the sort of interaction you are talking about, and looked for other ways to get what I want.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:42:04 pm »

yeah I might have to go the old route of contact syndromes. And just have pits that have some magic conversion goop, and just toss the essence you want into it. However that also has complex setup and complications.

That or food/drink that you feed to essence to transform it. but I'd have to scrap the Shaper Idea and just have standard Mages and Drug powered soldiers, basically I'd have to make some bastard child of the game I wanted to imitate and The Witcher.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:05:09 pm »

This is odd, going off other things that dwarves don't behave as they should be anyway this adds a little bit more of a mystery into the mix.

Perhaps you could test this a little further by making the interaction yield a message using TARGET_VERB to confirm it is or isn't happening.

Or dirty some cats and see if they lick themselves & each other clean & the behaviour isn't broken. That cat dying by ingesting things off its paws was "fixed" by version 0.42.03 for reference, so try doing your interactions before then also as a benchmark.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:28:09 pm »

I imagine it happened post 40_02 as that was the version I was modding before other adventures too me away irl

I'll probably do some additional testing with USAGE_HINTs with your suggestion of TARGET_VERB
NONE (I expect this will never be used until in combat)
GREETING
CLEAN_SELF
CLEAN_FRIEND

And see what one happens more often, and under what conditions.