Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug? Companions vanishing in the middle of fast travel  (Read 1279 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Bug? Companions vanishing in the middle of fast travel
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:32 pm »

It's happened twice now. I've been fast-traveling along with my companions when the screen freezes for a moment and I am dropped out of fast-travel. I try to travel away but get the message "You are surrounded by incessant cackling."

Yep, there they are. And my companions... have vanished. Oh, and I have a mortal wound.
Obviously, somehow the game has lost track of them before throwing me out of FT, as you only get a bogeyman attack if you don't have companions. Is this behavior intended?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Bug? Companions vanishing in the middle of fast travel
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:53:56 pm »

Did you lose them after crossing a river? Make sure you don't move too far away from the river before resuming quick travel. Beaches are bad, too.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 04:23:10 pm »

Not the second time (I don't remember where I started from the first time the bug(?) occurred); I left from a camp I had just killed.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:37:03 pm »

Not the second time (I don't remember where I started from the first time the bug(?) occurred); I left from a camp I had just killed.

they probably just ran off, check the status of your agreements, i have had them run off before then rejoin me later after i was out of danger -_-. I dont think its a bug, they have world activation AI going on, could have just ran away or got stuck behind a river.Did you se any asterisks (*) on the world map break away from you? That would be your companions.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:06 am »

I generally find that the best way to avoid losing companions behind rivers is to re-enter fast travel immediately after the game freezes for a bit after crossing a river.  This means you have left the river "tile" so fast travel will be allowed, but you're generally still close enough to your companions that the game still considers them to be in your group.

Or you could teach your companions to swim, but nobody has time for that.