Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high boots...  (Read 2429 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
high boots...
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:41:13 pm »

So.. I started a new game some time ago, went to begin an army and I can not make high boots. Any suggestions as to why that is?

It doesn't even come up in uniforms instead they are "foreign"...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: high boots...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:44:18 pm »

The clothes your civ can produce are randomly assigned.  I don't know the details, but sometimes useful things like high boots are not in the civ's fashion arsenal...

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »

High Boots are not FORCED in the entity file, merely COMMON, and as such, occasionally will not be known by your civ.  Enjoy your low boots.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:15:50 pm »

Clearly this civilisation doesn't deserve to survive....

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:17:30 pm by thefinn »

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:19 am »

I had this happen once. Kept playing anyway to give it a shot; eventually I got frustrated after yet another promising militia dwarf was hamstrung and removed the low boots entry from the entity raw file.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 12:09:32 am »

As long as you are taking the trouble to 'prepare for the journey carefully' this should be avoidable.  Just check that you could take high boots with you from the equipment selection screen - if so, you're good to go, otherwise cancel out of the embarking, reselect your site and choose a different dwarfen civilization.  Double check in the same manner that this civilization does not also have the unfortunate habit of wearing their boots low...  :)  Or just live with the problems caused by ankle-biters.  :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:35:52 am »

And if you're sensitive to the lack of high boots you may also want to check the availability of upper body garments, as those are also subject to the same kind of variation (there are 10 clothing positions dwarves can cover, and they are always available for production, but the items available for a couple of positions can vary).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 02:53:12 am »

Perhaps it is a fashion thing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 06:24:30 am »

Probably. Fashion tends to have a negative relation to practical use. In older days it was a signal of "my husband is so rich he can afford to keep servants to do all domestic work as well as give me (money for) impractical fashion items", and I think a fair bit of that uselessness aura still remains (but spread over both genders [a car with a boot just large enough for half a shopping bag?]).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 05:05:48 pm »

High boots protect the lower legs, while low boots don't, but greaves will also protect the lower legs. You lose a layer of armor for the lower legs (just greaves instead of greaves+high boots) but it's not a fort-restart requiring difference at least for me.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.