Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of questions from a complete noobie.  (Read 890 times)

Riky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A couple of questions from a complete noobie.
« on: September 20, 2017, 06:06:08 am »

Hello everyone  :)
I just started the game and enjoying it for about 1 week, but there is a couple of problems that I face and unfortunately I can't find answers on wiki/google.
1) For some reason my dwarfs do not work on some workshops, the reasons is "Stopped production: "X" " It happens when I manually add some tasks on the workshops. However, when I add this task from a manager it works. Any hints on how to fix it?
2) Almost the same problem with the smelter. When I ask dwarfs to smelt ore for some reason the do it VERY slow, 1-2 bars in entire day.
I do now that smelters need charcoal and an ore, but both of stockpiles were located on another floor.
In that playthrough  I also had no idea about wheelbarrows, it might be somehow connected with the problems. Just keep in mind that I don't have any experience in DF and the solution is probably the most obvious one.
3) Is there any indicators to know if my pasture big enough for my pets to have a long and happy life? How do I know if there is enough space for everyone?

P.S. Thank you very much for answers, I highly appreciate that!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of questions from a complete noobie.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:44:21 am »

1) Don't know.  Never seen that before (if I understand the question).
2) Metal ore is *really* heavy.  Watch some of your dwarfs carrying it and notice how slow they go.  Normally I have a feeder stockpile near the smelter (well, if you read my other posts, you'll see that I have a feeder stockpile for *everything*).  Smelters are particularly troublesome because there are lots of different ores.  Because real estate and workshops are cheap, though, normally I'll make a smelter for each kind of ore that I want to smelt a lot of.  Then you can put a stockpile (with a wheelbarrow) for the ore near the smelter.  In most of my games it only means have 3-4 smelters, which is not really that big a deal.
3) Just look at the amount of grass left (look with 'k')  If the pasture is running out of grass, then enlarge it, or move the animals to another pasture until the first recovers.  If you are stuck without a pasture you can also put the animals on restraints or in a cage and set the "animal care" skill on some dwarfs.  They will then use plants or prepared food out of your inventory to feed the animals.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:14 am »

1. I don't recognize stopped production either, but if it is *cancelled* production the typical cause is usage of bins: dorfs accessing bins block access to the bin contents for everyone else for some time around the access, and that can stop production as *that particular* item the workshop had decided to use was in a blocked bin.

Riky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:37 am »

Thank you very much guys!
I think I finally found the solution of my main 1st problem, it was at hand really. Since I was making orders with help of Workflow addon I was setting a range of production of this item and when the amount hit the limit, it was automatically stopped, as it is supposed to be. And since manager makes the exact amount and not in range, he was making as much as I asked him to, as he is supposed to as well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »

That makes sense!

My personal preference for pastures is underground. They'll eat moss the same as grass. It is often plentiful and, once you've walled it off, provides a safer place than an aboveground pasture for your cuddly livestock.

Make sure to double and triple check those underground walls, though. There are often irregularities and holes that nasties will get in through.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »

I make a recessed courtyard I deck over with a roof to keep my grazers safe. If you need to check the walls for holes for your underground pasture you're too close to the surface for my liking.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:31 pm »

I make a recessed courtyard I deck over with a roof to keep my grazers safe. If you need to check the walls for holes for your underground pasture you're too close to the surface for my liking.

Well, my concerns are things like flying FB's or climbing trogs. I should have been more specific and said that I usually end up building pastures right in the caverns.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:27 pm »

I tend to have multiple pastures for my animals. I'll have a couple on the surface for the more 'useless' animals (horses, reindeer, cavies...anything that only gives milk and critters to butcher) and one on the first underground soil layer that I'll dig out and let the moss spores grass over when I breach the caverns for more useful animals that give wool (and eggs, if I catch elk birds). The second one lets me keep them safer from things that can show up like goblins and beasts.

Generally the way I figure it is have about 5-10 squares per animal. It seems to work for most of the domestic animals, though I'll use more if I get the heavier grazers (looking at you elephants)
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.