Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Fortress  (Read 1522 times)

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Fortress
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »

After playing Skyrim yet another time and having recently started playing DF i got inspired by Blackreach and i want to try recreating my version of it in DF, but i have some questions first.

Is it even possible? The caverns aren't a huge place, i'm worried i'll run out of space very soon.

Will forgotten beasts randomly spawn inside my fortress? or do they spawn at the edge of the map?

What should i increase/decrease in the advanced world gen settings? Layer opennes seems a no-brainer for build space, but what about the other settings?

Are the caravans going to get scared and run after seeing a random gorlak walking around?

These are the things that worry me the most, but all tips are welcome.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:06:41 pm »

Depends how you're doing this. Are you doing it so it's buildings in the middle of the cavern, a totally enclosed space in the caverns, or a castle in them?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »

After playing Skyrim yet another time and having recently started playing DF i got inspired by Blackreach and i want to try recreating my version of it in DF, but i have some questions first.

Is it even possible? The caverns aren't a huge place, i'm worried i'll run out of space very soon.

Will forgotten beasts randomly spawn inside my fortress? or do they spawn at the edge of the map?

What should i increase/decrease in the advanced world gen settings? Layer opennes seems a no-brainer for build space, but what about the other settings?

Are the caravans going to get scared and run after seeing a random gorlak walking around?

These are the things that worry me the most, but all tips are welcome.
1. It's possible. Don't go trying to build a ginormous megafortress, but it's definitely possible.
2. I think they only spawn at the edge of the map.
3. I would decrease the minimum depth of the caverns and increase their number.
4. They don't get scared by most wildlife, so a gorlak (which is wildlife itself) should be fine. Don't let them go near any beasties like giant cave spiders, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:43 pm »

Depends how you're doing this. Are you doing it so it's buildings in the middle of the cavern, a totally enclosed space in the caverns, or a castle in them?

Blackreach itself is a giant open space underground, it has some buildings scattered around and a castle/fortress close to the middle. It's going to be similiar to building an above-ground fortress, only in the caverns.

Here's an image that explains it pretty well.
https://img00.deviantart.net/c144/i/2013/149/8/b/skyrim__blackreach_again_by_lionpawheart-d6731ps.jpg
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:20:09 pm by Nefarian »

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »

1. It's possible. Don't go trying to build a ginormous megafortress, but it's definitely possible.
4. They don't get scared by most wildlife, so a gorlak (which is wildlife itself) should be fine. Don't let them go near any beasties like giant cave spiders, though.

Thanks, i'll try to be on space-saving mode all the time and if FBs spawn at the edge, it should be no problem defending against them. Flying FBs are going to hurt tho, I'll need a big bunker somewhere incase one shows up, so i can place all the civilians inside and let the militia sort it out.

As for the trade depot, i'm thinking of just putting it in the layer above the cavern. Much easier doing it that way instead of having to build an entire enclosed building for the merchants. It's also going to save me some some space for more bedrooms/stockpiles.

Edit: I forgot to ask in my first post, do the surroundings change the cavern fauna? if i embark in a biome where creatures or their parts come back to life, is it going to happen in the caverns too?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:32:44 pm by Nefarian »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:45 pm »

Thanks, i'll try to be on space-saving mode all the time and if FBs spawn at the edge, it should be no problem defending against them. Flying FBs are going to hurt tho, I'll need a big bunker somewhere incase one shows up, so i can place all the civilians inside and let the militia sort it out.

As for the trade depot, i'm thinking of just putting it in the layer above the cavern. Much easier doing it that way instead of having to build an entire enclosed building for the merchants. It's also going to save me some some space for more bedrooms/stockpiles.

Edit: I forgot to ask in my first post, do the surroundings change the cavern fauna? if i embark in a biome where creatures or their parts come back to life, is it going to happen in the caverns too?
Yes, reanimating biomes will have undead wildlife in the caverns too, and savage biomes will allow two species of wildlife to appear in the caverns at the same time, instead of the usual one.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:47:11 pm »

Well, i found a perfect looking cavern, decently open with some space to dig into too. so far there hasn't been any issue with monstrosities killing everything. there's also adamantine EVERYWHERE just laying around. I suppose it's the top of the pillars. Exposed adamantine and a safe place (for now) sounds good.

Ty all for the help :)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:39 pm »

You can make the fortress as big as you want. Heck, take over all three layers of caverns even. You can dig out and expand the ones you have, and if there's a river anywhere on the map you can do some engineering to mud up the dry ground so plants grow everywhere.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:16 am »

Well, i found a perfect looking cavern, decently open with some space to dig into too. so far there hasn't been any issue with monstrosities killing everything. there's also adamantine EVERYWHERE just laying around. I suppose it's the top of the pillars. Exposed adamantine and a safe place (for now) sounds good.

Ty all for the help :)

Wow that sure sounds awesome, when the new release comes out I will definitely try that out. Reminds me of the goblin underground cities from Age of Wonders the original.
Would be fun to build a fortress where the layout is organic instead of planned/symmetrical. Would probably feel a lot more alive as well.