Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How much do you trust your dwarves?  (Read 10046 times)

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you trust your dwarves?
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:07 am »

When it comes to complex digging (read that as mass channeling, or digging around lava.) I dont trust my dwarves any further than I can throw them.

and i'm a whimp.

but for moving stuff around, building non complicated things (IE anything that wont result in Urist McFortunato walled in after its done) basic stuff I'm fine with but the more technical things I personally walk them through.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2009, 12:52:12 am »

Some of my forts descent into a whacky anarchy that kinda reminds me of a clockwork orange. I really miss a tavern, with naked female statues to serve dwarven milk from.  ;D

Also: Who killed the cat lady?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:56:16 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 08:44:52 am »

Some of my forts descent into a whacky anarchy that kinda reminds me of a clockwork orange. I really miss a tavern, with naked female statues to serve dwarven milk from.  ;D

Your dwarves are going ultra-violent on each other?  I think that's a more accurate description when a dwarf decides to start a fist fight:

Urist McAlex cancels Attend Party, fancies a bit of the old ultra-violence
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 04:36:12 pm »

Hm, I know about creatures, but are names of ...other stuff stored anywhere that's accessible? 'Cause you could pan this out, replace "smear of blood" with "smear of that red, red kroovy," etc.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 10:01:10 am »

I have a weird phobia of parties, so I keep all my dwarves busy AT ALL TIMES.
I'm worried about when my fortress grows to more than 25 dwarves I will go completely insane.
Or just be lazy and drop the habit.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 11:47:32 am »

I have a weird phobia of parties, so I keep all my dwarves busy AT ALL TIMES.
I'm worried about when my fortress grows to more than 25 dwarves I will go completely insane.
Or just be lazy and drop the habit.
Parties are tantrum spiral fuel. Thankfully, it's easy to stop parties (remove the dining room designation, designate the room again), but most of the time they start another one just after that. I learned that the hard way. My fort had a party all the time and although the partying dwarves don't count as "idling", half of my fort was STILL idle.
Yeah, tantrum spiral. And death.
So, I probably trust them much too much.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 08:59:22 am »

Your dwarves are going ultra-violent on each other?  I think that's a more accurate description when a dwarf decides to start a fist fight:

Urist McAlex cancels Attend Party, fancies a bit of the old ultra-violence

you know, i wonder if you can build some sort of ludovico treatment clinic in a fortress... that would be awesome...

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 10:51:12 am »

Meh, the unit list includes (and mixes with) the old dwarves. I end up wondering which ones are the immigrants.

Give all your current dwarves custom job names. (You could even use the Dwarf Foreman 3rd party tool to make this much easier; you pause and can use it to do job related things. Not cheaty or anything--just a better interface). If your current dwarves have custom job names, you know which ones are immigrants. I.e., put D before all your job names or something, then when you get immigrants and decide what they are going to do, put D before their new job name too.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 12:27:48 am »

I tend to focus on whatever little project I'm doing at the time, and do general checks in between.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 12:58:17 am »

I never trust my dwarves everytimes I left them alone they always open the doors for let the orcs enter to have a nice bloodbath
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 01:13:06 am »

Personally? My dwarfs are idiots.   I look away for two seconds and they all start getting chased down by zombie MONKEYS.  Let me draw you a picture.

[Entrance]
     [d]  [d]      [d]   [d]

[m]    [m]         [m]         [m]         [m]

But do they run into the safety of the fortress? (especially since I've activated (no dwarfs go outside) mode). NO they run PAST the entrance to the northern edge of the map to get picked off one by one.

But whenever I play succession games I'm not that good a writer, I just make notes of improtant things that happened during my boring rein, So what do I do? (Set to run in backround (the couple hundred dwarfs lag me to hell anyway),  Walk away for a few hours, Come back check what made the game pause, Note its date and wahts happening and unpause.) And on like that for a while.  Only when specific things needs to get done (Like those new bedrooms set up (it took freaking 10 months for 5 beds to be made, Dont trust those damn dwarfs))

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:38 am »

If I don't have anything pre-planned, and I don't have an adequate supply; ze-ro trust. However, if I am well-to-overstocked, and I know exactly what's going on, and I have no worries about any sieges or possible ambushes, then I have plenty of trust in them. But it helps to check back on them in case there are any spontaneous pauses for any reasons.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:19 pm »

I don't trust my dwarves at all anymore, since about two seconds ago.

I tabbed back into DF to check on the starting digging for my second Armok's Magnetic Anomaly attempt and found it paused. This is at the end of the first year and by extreme luck I'd gotten two miners for immigrants but I digress..
Part of the starting digging is a few tiles channeled over the main food stockpile to prevent miasma annoying anyone who ever enters there. Just a 3x3 channel to start with. As you've probably figured out by now, middle part plummets down,through the food stockpile, into the mining tunnels, killing the two immigrant miners there and crippling one of my two founder miners.

Never leave dwarves alone with channeling projects.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2009, 05:21:40 am »

Just a 3x3 channel to start with. As you've probably figured out by now, middle part plummets down,through the food stockpile, into the mining tunnels, killing the two immigrant miners there and crippling one of my two founder miners.

Never leave dwarves alone with channeling projects.
Try...
Code: [Select]
._._.
.._..
._._.
Then when central tile is dug (usually after the two westernmost corners, but depending on Dwarfs Available and Job Allocation Order and Abandoning For Food And/Or Drink Issues that might arise) designate the edges that would have supported it.

For larger expanses, you could:
Code: [Select]
.......            .......            .......
._..._.            ._..._.            ._____.
.._._..            ..___..            ._   _.
..._... => then => .._ _.. => then => ._   _.
.._._..            ..___..            ._   _.
._..._.            ._..._.            ._____.
.......            .......            .......
(Other combinations possible, depending on circumstances, just never designate any channel anywhere unless there is no possibility that there won't ever remain a hanging area of ground at the point it gets channelled away.  (Also, that no dwarf finds themselves isolated on a stable but disconnected platform against a wall.)  Yes, it'd be nice to have them work this out for themselves, but in leiu of that it's not as if you can't anticipate the situation. :)

(Or use a convenient ramp-based method, instead, and avoid all the hassle.)

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2009, 03:28:51 pm »

Thanks alot, that'll save me some cave-ins at least! :D

I still don't trust them Urists though.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]