Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you consider to be the most dwarfy way to construct mega projects?

Meticulously dig out stone, cut it into blocks, build scaffolding, and have an army of dwarvs assemble it block by block
- 14 (31.1%)
Build a water/magma pump stack, construct/dig out a form and cast the structure in obsidian one level at a time, smoothing and engraving the result
- 9 (20%)
Find the nearest mountain/underground area and go Michelangelo on it until it fits your vision
- 22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Constructing Mega Projects: Method Poll  (Read 2128 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing Mega Projects: Method Poll
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 12:11:03 am »

I think one of the Battlefailed successions did have modded-in reaction to make bone blocks, though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 03:37:32 pm »

I used casting, then realized casting didn't leave obsidian floors.  :(

So now I dig out whole castles, moats, multi-z columns, and several z-levels high rooms like Moria never went out of style.

The dwarfiest method is obsidian, of course, but it's sort of hard to cast obsidian without getting interrupted by invaders. And the obsidian bugs are somewhat ruining it for me.

I used to build outside castles with rock or unleash my inner Egyptian/Babylonian and build stuff out of raw clay (and pretend it's sun-dried mudbrick), but building things out of rock is somewhat annoying both material and UI-wise, and building stuff out of raw clay is a bit broken. Also, you can't smooth and engrave everything.

Really, the dig everything method is easier and more practical. Well, there is an issue of "holy shit that's a lot of stone" but at least you have stone. Also, it tends to be hard to do quickly with only seven starting dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:41:14 pm by Naryar »

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »

I'm really curious to see the results of this poll, but a large part of me is going to follow this thread for the sweet megaprojects that will probably get posted (love that temple we've already seen).

To me, the dwarfiest method is digging everything out. It's not as elaborate as obsidian, it's true, but there's something so intrinsic to dwarves about mining that for me achieving something or solving a problem with mining is always the dwarfiest option.
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain
Pages: 1 [2]